5D MII Wedding... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 27th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Trustee

5D MII Wedding...

Canon Digital Learning Center - Sample EOS 5D Mark II Video: A Three Act Play

Shows what the 5D can do at a wedding... with professional actors, lighting crews, and a controlled shooting environment. Other than that, it's exactly how we shoot on a wedding day.

Sarcasm aside, I love almost everything I've seen come out of this camera. Canon has done a wonderful job of allowing the first images we've seem from this camera to be professionally shot and not just some Joe Blow taking it out of the box and shooting shakey footage of his cat in horrible light. Masterful marketing.

I can see this camera working in our usual wedding workflow with a second shooter on scene rolling a traditional camera while the 5D is being setup properly for 5 or 6 money shots per location.

I'm waiting to see what Red announces with the Scarlet (announcement coming Nov. 13th). I'm hoping that Scarlet is close to the same quality but with more traditional controls and longer record times. If it is, I might just wait for it so I can shoot it as my main cameras and not have to worry about some of the workarounds of the 5D, but if it's release date is too far off, I might just get a 5D to play with in the mean time.

Then again with the economy on the precipice maybe I should just hold on to my money for a while... and bury it in the back yard.

Sorry that this post is all over the place... all these things have been on my mind lately.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Canon Digital Learning Center - Sample EOS 5D Mark II Video: A Three Act Play

Shows what the 5D can do at a wedding... with professional actors, lighting crews, and a controlled shooting environment. Other than that, it's exactly how we shoot on a wedding day.

Sarcasm aside, I love almost everything I've seen come out of this camera. Canon has done a wonderful job of allowing the first images we've seem from this camera to be professionally shot and not just some Joe Blow taking it out of the box and shooting shakey footage of his cat in horrible light. Masterful marketing.

I can see this camera working in our usual wedding workflow with a second shooter on scene rolling a traditional camera while the 5D is being setup properly for 5 or 6 money shots per location.

I'm waiting to see what Red announces with the Scarlet (announcement coming Nov. 13th). I'm hoping that Scarlet is close to the same quality but with more traditional controls and longer record times. If it is, I might just wait for it so I can shoot it as my main cameras and not have to worry about some of the workarounds of the 5D, but if it's release date is too far off, I might just get a 5D to play with in the mean time.

Then again with the economy on the precipice maybe I should just hold on to my money for a while... and bury it in the back yard.

Sorry that this post is all over the place... all these things have been on my mind lately.
No problem Ethan - I was able to follow all your thoughts! :)

I'm looking forward to using the 5D MKII at receptions and moments during the day for some shallow DOF shots. I'm going to try mounting it onto a Glidecam at some point too, but I'm not too optimistic that it will work well! We'll see!

As far as Red Scarlet goes. I'm also interested in seeing this if THEY EVER GET IT TO MARKET. I was disappointed that they delayed their announcement of it a while ago and I'm starting to wonder what that would mean for support-related issues etc if I do end up picking up a Scarlet. I'm just leery when companies delay, delay and delay.
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Trustee

I see the 5D being a tripod jockey and not suited for stedicam work, but I'd love to see your experiments. I just think with the DOF on this thing that it'll operate more like our current HV20/Letus combo.

If you follow the history or the Red One, that thing made it to market a good bit later than most people had thought, but it's been fairly well received and seems to do a nice job. I'd imagine it'll be the same with Scarlet. She'll take a little while to get to market, but once she does she'll do well. I'd guess they've learned a thing or two in the development and shipping of their first camera and things will continue to improve with this new round of cameras. I do know that internally they're expecting Scarlet to be a hot seller and they've talked about being able to mass produce these things. Who knows what reality will hold.

-Ethan Cooper
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Oh I'll get one, that's for sure. It's a great DSLR that just happens to take great video as well, but the Scarlet has the advantage of professional audio options, modular design, dual CF slots (for longer record times), 24P, over cranking, wi-fi control, the list goes on. And according to Jim, should be out shortly after NAB.

It will be interesting to see how many photographers will start adding some sort of video option to their packages.... if any. I know Nikon is moving the same direction as Canon as well.
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Waite View Post
It will be interesting to see how many photographers will start adding some sort of video option to their packages.... if any. I know Nikon is moving the same direction as Canon as well.
I just don't think one person can do both jobs well. Photo is photo, video is video. I know people keep thinking they'll somehow merge or the line will be blurred, but I just dont see it.

-Ethan Cooper
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Major Player

I completely agree. It definitely shows with the photographers in my area who also do video. You'll always be better at one than the other. That is why I'll never offer photography, even though I consider myself to be a good photographer and I have a nicer DSLR, lenses, and flash than almost all the photographers in my area. I'm sticking to what I do best... using my photo equipment on my kids and for vacations.

The exception to the rule would probably be for someone like stillmotion. From what I can tell they have dedicated photographers and dedicated cinematographers. I don't think they have anyone pulling double duty over there... I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Waite View Post
The exception to the rule would probably be for someone like stillmotion. From what I can tell they have dedicated photographers and dedicated cinematographers. I don't think they have anyone pulling double duty over there... I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.
I don't think you are. Same company, different disciplines.

-Ethan Cooper
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Huh? You don't think I am, what?
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.
Andrew - that's what I was responding to.

-Ethan Cooper
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Major Player

oh, right right. i should have figured that one out.
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Wow, that footage looks great, In fact I think it looks better than my Sony EX1. I'm thinking about jumping the Nikon ship and switching all of my photo gear with Canon.
Greg Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #12
Still Motion

Quote:
While we have dedicated photographers and cinematographers, I've also shot photo for several weddings and done photo partially for many weddings. I would certainly gain a lot by being a full time photographer, but at the same time, I've also taken some of our better shots throughout the years.

John who does mostly photo has come along and helped with cinematography and done a great job. He has shots in some of our SDEs and trailers.

It certainly can be done, and it can be done well, but there isn't generally enough time to go around to shoot both mediums even with the same camera and, for many, it may mean doing one medium well and the other not so well.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #13
Major Player

Its great to see what its capable of in a controlled situation. I can see drawbacks to try to shoot something like a wedding with the 5D in a real situation. Will be interesting to see if Canon will look at releasing a video camera with some of the same features, surely they would be planing something.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #14
Major Player

Nobody has mentioned the prospect of the photographers reaction on the day if you suddenly have a Canon DSLR in your hands. Most are already paranoid that we are selling frame grabs from video. This will send them over the edge!

I could see a good few throwing a hissy fit if this happens.

Cut to tog and videagrapher squaring up outside church.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #15
Major Player

I personally don't get the idea of using a 5D Mk II for a wedding. Yes, the image quality is awesome, but I would rather take the money and put it towards something else, like advertising or a HV20/Letus combo. Granted, the HV20/Letus has limitations, but at least there is another camera that you can set up at the ceremony or during speeches to give more coverage, rather than a piece of equipment you're just going to use for a few minutes.

That being said, I do get excited about the type of footage that the 5D Mk II can produce and do plan on savings my Coke cans to get one.

Re: photographers, I think it's funny that I am reading some photo forums where photographers are considering adding video to their photo packages. Considering how much talk their is among photographers being undercut by people with Rebels and D40s, it's funny that there are some that are trying to do the same to us.

It may be a blanket statement, but I can see there being tension with some photographers. Another reason I'd leave the 5D at home, since it's always one of the top priorities of mine to get along with other vendors.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques