Shooting in cold weather... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 28th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Shooting in cold weather...

i'm a Florida boy who recently moved to NJ... It's starting to get cold up here and i was wondering what kind of problems i'm going to run into shooting in cold weather.
I'm guessing that there will be an issue when i film the ceremony and then quickly switch to grab the outside shot of them coming down the isle.
Any advice???
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

1. don't let your equipment get cold for long periods of time. aka camera has been sitting in your trunk for 2 hrs.
2. give yourself extra time to make sure your camera is warmed up

I actually find summer more of a problem because of the humidity change from an a/c environment. In the winter everything is very dry so you have less of a chance of water condensing on the heads.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Trustee

The biggest problem I have is not going outside, but rather coming inside after shooting in the cold for a while. The camera fogs up until the temp of the camera approaches the indoor temp.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
The biggest problem I have is not going outside, but rather coming inside after shooting in the cold for a while. The camera fogs up until the temp of the camera approaches the indoor temp.
This has happend to me. The problem begins when coming inside from the cold. When the Top Gear crew went on the north pole to do a program about a trip on artick truck they had the cameras out in the cold all the time, just took the battery in for recharging.
Asvaldur Kristjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah i imagined that my biggest problem would be coming in from the cold. I guess for a single camera shooter like my self there is no way to really avoid anything.

Does it not really happen when going from the indoors to outside? Lens fogging up that is.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Think condensation on a cold glass - that's the scientific aspect. You've got glass and metal in the camera that will potentially stay cold long enough to condense any moisture out of the air. Thus why cameras have condensation sensors...

Maybe Google and see if there's anything out there about temperature/humidity differentials and condensation? Might give you an idea of the conditions that could present trouble so you're better prepared.

General rule I follow with equipment is keep it in a case/bag to insulate from large "direct" temp variations - keep it in the car interior not the trunk, if it does sit out long enough to get cold, allow it to adjust slowly to the indooor ambient temperature before firing it up. That's from the guitar business, where things can get ugly if you make rapid temperature changes, but seems like good advice with gear in general.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques