Wedding highlight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 30th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wedding highlight

First time posting wedding highlight... Been doing wedding for 5 years now and this forum has been a great support.

The quality of the video is not that great but hey, its the content that matters.

Enjoy and any feedback would be welcome.

Untitled on Vimeo
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Eric.

Thanks for sharing. I think you've perfected your shots using a tripod (or you have rock stable hands), the gldes were also smooth enough. On two clips though I noticed that you sped up the footage, that wasn't quite appropriate to the song at least.

AS I mentioned, you've mastered the tripod (composition was very good). It's time to get untethered and experiment with handheld - just to open newer creative possibilities.

Hope this helps.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Trustee

I'm not a big fan of pans and zooms, but your work is clean and well done. What it lacks in cutting edge hipness, it makes up for in an all around professional feel.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your comment... Since the whole highlight is mainly in slow motion (along with a slower song), I decided to speed things up here and there to add a different element to the clip. It just happened that the footage at those points are interested enough for changing the speed. Any suggestion of where in the song that is appropriate for things like that?

I always keep my shoots stable when shooting weddings (both using tripod and handheld). I believe stability is one of the many aspects that would enhance the video quality.

So, here are my questions:
1) Is too much stability == boring to watch?
2) What type of shot selections are good for handheld with motions?

By the way, I have watched and enjoyed your clips many times.

Thanks again,
Eric
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for the feedback. Could you elaborate more on what you mean and how to achieve the "cutting edge hipness"? I really hope that I could apply this element to my future weddings.

Thanks,
Eric
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Eric,

I liked your stuff. I understand what jason and ethan are saying. You rock the tripod, but the tripod is very "SAFE", it's clean, but not so edgy. The moving shots really stand out, are you using a Fig Rig? If so, bravo. I think a lot of folks under estimate what you can pull off with Fig Rig, it's not just a small hullahoop. Nice video!
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Andrew

The moving shots are actually from glidecam. I don't have a smooth shooter, so, it was all hand held. My second camera was using Fig Rig. I didn't like it because it becomes harder to change camera settings on the run. For example, if you are doing a follow shot from indoor to outdoor, you have no hand to change the exposure settings. Once one of your hand is off the bar, you can't stable the camera anymore and finish off the shot. My second camera man actually had a bell (which connect 2 sides of the Fig Rig) around his neck so it was easier for him to free up one of his hands. But it only helped a little in my opinion.

Thanks for your comment.
Eric
Eric Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques