DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Business question. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/137138-business-question.html)

Stephen J. Williams November 3rd, 2008 05:41 PM

Business question.

Well as usual, i'm the resident "learn as you go" member on this forum board. I have to questions for ya'll.

my first ?
How far in advance would you book a wedding?

second ?
How much time would you quote someone on their finished product.

I'm a one man show. Shooting and completing the edit by my self. I know it's all personal preference. I'm just curious how everyone address's these issues so I can possibly better address mine.

Steve

Shaun Conner November 3rd, 2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 959201)
Well as usual, i'm the resident "learn as you go" member on this forum board. I have to questions for ya'll.

my first ?
How far in advance would you book a wedding?

second ?
How much time would you quote someone on their finished product.

I'm a one man show. Shooting and completing the edit by my self. I know it's all personal preference. I'm just curious how everyone address's these issues so I can possibly better address mine.

Steve

Both questions are a personal preference. How far in advance do you feel comfortable booking a wedding and how fast can you deliver a QUALITY product? I have booked a wedding a year in advance, but you have to have good record keeping. I also tell my brides it can take up to 3 months to receive their wedding depending on my workflow, but I normally deliver in less than 2 - 3 weeks. It all depends on your skill and how comfortable you feel doing these things. I think everyone will pretty much have different answers as they have chosen something that they are comfortable with.

Travis Cossel November 3rd, 2008 08:24 PM

As far in advance as someone wants to book me.

I don't give a timeline. I don't abuse not having one, but I really try to customize my work and I'm a perfectionist .. so I don't want to make sacrifices on quality and customization just because of a timeline.

Don Bloom November 3rd, 2008 08:43 PM

As for how far out I book Travis said it best but generally I'm between 1 year and 1 month. Mostly in between about 6 to 9 months.

Delivery, I generally tell my clients 12 to 14 weeks and try to deliver sooner but I too am a solo act and do 45 to 60 weddings a year as well as corporate work, AV work and some TV work so I'd rather tell them the long end of the calendar and deliver sooner than tell them the short end and be 1 week late.

Don

Christopher Glavan November 3rd, 2008 10:01 PM

I agree with Travis and Don on the booking. I have my clients pay a deposit to secure their date, which they pay when they sign the contract. I record everything on a carbon-copy invoice tablet I got from the local office supply store for 5 bucks. Dates go into my planner, and I also have an in-out bin so everything stays organized and I don't forget or lose anything.

As far as scheduling for final delivery, I've heard several opinions from friends who've gotten married, and the general consensus is that anything over 8 weeks is a long time to wait- we live in an I-need-it-now society after all =) My contract states that I will do my best to have the final product ready for delivery 3 to 8 weeks from the date of the event, but times vary. I tell clients that in the event their video will take longer than 8 weeks, I will contact them and give a best-guess estimate of final delivery as necessary. As long as it's in the contract they signed, and you don't abuse the privilege, your butt is pretty well covered.

John Knight November 4th, 2008 01:44 AM

1. Whenever. I have current bookings for April-May 2010 already.

2. Within 7 days.

Stephen J. Williams November 4th, 2008 07:46 AM

thanks guys for all of the advice. & days is a little fast for me, but I know I can do 2-4 weeks. Just to be safe though, I think I'll quote 3-8 weeks.

Aaron Mayberry November 4th, 2008 01:34 PM

Never put yourself in a corner by over-promising. Instead, over-deliver.