Market Strategy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 4th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Market Strategy

Well, now that the U.S. will have a Liberal Democrat for president and the house and senate are bleeding blue, what will be your strategy in the years to follow?

Will your prices go up, down, will you quit the business, or go underground and not report your income...i.e. go cash only?

Will they have to "pry your video camera from your cold dead hands"?
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Major Player

DV Info Net Network Policy
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dave, I'm not wanting this to turn into an ideological discussion. I'm simply stating a fact, and with that, what is your business plan? Does anyone anticipate economic issues that changes your game?
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've always viewed this industry as somewhat recession proof, however, since video is not yet considered a necessity in a lot of Bride's minds it might be the first thing to go. I've yet to see a slide off and we've had a pretty bad economy for the past year or two. We are still growing so I'm encouraged that we will at least maintain what we've been doing and maybe continue to grow. Hopefully the ever falling ceiling on who is considered "rich" won't drop to my level too quickly.
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sessions View Post
Well, now that the U.S. will have a Liberal Democrat for president and the house and senate are bleeding blue, what will be your strategy in the years to follow?

Will your prices go up, down, will you quit the business, or go underground and not report your income...i.e. go cash only?

Will they have to "pry your video camera from your cold dead hands"?
I don't know if having a democrat as president will change anything, but I don't foresee any changes to what we do and the amount of people we book. Maybe taxes will change that, but I seriously doubt that.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The way I see it, if taxes go up on small businesses .. I'm just going to have to raise my rates and hope that works.
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I don't have any changes in mind at this point. I will book weddings... go to work... deliver a quality product and if things change around me, I'll be forced to adapt.
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I'd like to see this topic go away.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm with Nathan, no matter how bad things get, or what happens to the economy... people will still get married! And, a lot of those people (I think) will still be willing to go into debt for their wedding. Yes, as videographers we are pretty low on the totem poll of priorities with most brides, but there will always be the few that got to have it all! Really, we haven't noticed any difference in our earnings since the economy started to slip, if anything it's continued to get better and better. So I'm very optimistic about the future, because if it's this good now, it's can only get better when and if the economy improves, right?
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #10
Inner Circle

To be honest, I think a lot of the problem with the economy is that people are constantly being told that the economy is bad (media, etc.). I'm not saying there aren't problems, but when people cancel orders or bookings or whatever, and the excuse is .. well, we're just not sure what the economy is going to do .. it's silly. If everyone starts panicking and stops spending money, then we'll actually be in real trouble.
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I'm not saying there aren't problems, but when people cancel orders or bookings or whatever, and the excuse is .. well, we're just not sure what the economy is going to do .. it's silly. If everyone starts panicking and stops spending money, then we'll actually be in real trouble.
We are in real trouble, and you're right. The more people panic, the worse it can get. It's bad now. Lehman, WAMU and the country of Iceland's government banking have collapsed. Will it get worse or better? People acres smarter than I are debating that now. Answers are all over the map.

In times like this, people cut back discretionary spending because it's the right thing to do. Better that than running out of cash for food or housing.

The challenge for us, and I think the topic of this thread summarizes it well, is how we will/can/should adjust our marketing strategy to safely traverse the current economic terrain. I, for one, would be keen to know how others who do this for a living plan to adjust their business model. I prefer not to have to get a job where a key phrase is, "Can I supersize that for you for another 49 cents?"
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #12
Trustee

We need to educate all brides that video is more important than photography. It's far more valuable in terms of what they pay for and what they get, especially in tough economic times.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
We need to educate all brides that video is more important than photography. It's far more valuable in terms of what they pay for and what they get, especially in tough economic times.
I think we'd all agree the value in video is higher than photography, but convincing brides that video is better might be like herding cats.

Here's a thought. Partnering with a still photog and coming up with a package price for both. I know that some already do this.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
I think we'd all agree the value in video is higher than photography, but convincing brides that video is better might be like herding cats.
It sure isn't an easy task but it aint imposible, Heck these guys have managed to do, so why couldn't we.

Video is better than photo
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
I think we'd all agree the value in video is higher than photography ...
I have to disagree with you here .. I think the value of either depends totally on the individual in question. Some people actually get more emotional return from still images, and less from moving images. I just think we should be careful about trying to say one is a better value than the other, because they are really two different mediums.

It would be like trying to saying painting is better than sculpture.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques