DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Edit Wedding dvd Back Into Premiere (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/137417-edit-wedding-dvd-back-into-premiere.html)

Wayne Greensill November 8th, 2008 05:26 AM

Edit Wedding dvd Back Into Premiere

Hi Guys,

I have been asked by a bride if I can take her wedding dvd, which she had made by a family member, and re-edit it in Adobe Premiere.

She was let down by a videographer she booked for her wedding and now she wants a more professional job doing on her wedding.

My question is how do I rip it of the disc back into premiere?

I have tried playing around with some discs I have but premiere says unsupported file.

I'm not sure what format they have used to put it onto disc, as I have not got my hands on the disc yet.

If any of you guys could help I would appreciate.

Regards
Wayne

Matthew Craggs November 8th, 2008 06:45 AM

If the disc is already finished, there's a couple of ways you can do it.

You could play it back in a settop DVD player and into the camera assuming your camera has AV/DV pass through. Use your cameras AV cables to go from the camera into the DVD player, then connect your camera to your computer and capture in Premiere like you normally would.

Or, if you're on a Mac you could use MPEG Stream Clip to rip the DVD into a wide variety of formats. If you're on PC then I'm sure there's tons of similar programs that could do it for you. A quick Google search of "DVD Ripper" brought up a bunch for me.

Chris Davis November 8th, 2008 09:07 AM

Copy the .VOB files and rename them with a .MPG extension. If you're lucky, the audio is not AC3 format. If you bring it into Premiere and there's no audio, you'll need to demux it. Videohelp.com has a lot of info on converting and demuxing.

Tripp Woelfel November 8th, 2008 09:28 AM

Check out this guide:
How to convert DVDs back to MPG files for reauthor or reedit - VideoHelp.com

The advantage with this is that you don't have to piece together the VOB files by hand. I've used VOB2MPG many times and it's bulletproof.

VideoHelp.com has a lot of good information on stuff like this. It's a bit more consumer oriented but it's pretty wired in.

Wayne Greensill November 9th, 2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 961083)
Check out this guide:
How to convert DVDs back to MPG files for reauthor or reedit - VideoHelp.com

The advantage with this is that you don't have to piece together the VOB files by hand. I've used VOB2MPG many times and it's bulletproof.

VideoHelp.com has a lot of good information on stuff like this. It's a bit more consumer oriented but it's pretty wired in.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info.

I managed to get the VOB file converted to Mpg with the software you said but what do I need to do to get the audio with it.

Sorry but I am a newbie to all this converting :o(

Regards
Wayne

Charlie Branham November 9th, 2008 07:22 AM

Rip DVD

Use DVDXDV to rip DVD as quicktime or other format, then import. Google it.

Tripp Woelfel November 9th, 2008 07:27 AM

Wayne... It should have gotten the audio too. I didn't have any problems with the audio. You might want to review all of the output options to make sure you're not telling the program you don't want the audio. If that doesn't fix it, you might want to re-download and re-install the program just in case something got gobbed up in the process, although I don't think this likely.

Failing that, you might want to try one of the other programs listed in the guide to convert the files.

Mike Gunter November 9th, 2008 10:06 AM

Hi Wayne,

What Chris was mentioning about the AC3 audio is that Premiere can't read it, and apparently the disc you have uses it.

I recommend that you download Super©. It's a free converter program located SUPER © videos, it's very quirky and takes a lot of getting used to and it will try your patience, however, it does a decent job and it's free. I've stripped several layers of junky pages of adware to the download page for you - you can thank me later. ;-)

Copy the VOBs to hard drive and convert them to mpeg for editing or dv avi - your choice.

You could also download a trial of Ulead VideoStudio12 (also known as VideoStudio Pro X2) Overview - VideoStudio X2 from Corel . I have the program and use it a lot for making HD on DVDs that will play on Bluray. You might like it for that alone. But it has a utility to take content from DVDs and convert it into editable form, again your choice of content. The trial period is 30 days (or 15 days, I forget).

There's two options that'll work for you.

My best,

Mike

Wayne Greensill November 9th, 2008 10:26 AM

Mike I appreciate what you have done.

Thank you so much I will give them ago, fingers crossed it will work and I promise I won't kick the cat if I lose my patience lol.

Thanks again
Wayne

Mike Gunter November 9th, 2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Greensill (Post 961390)
Mike I appreciate what you have done.

Thank you so much I will give them ago, fingers crossed it will work and I promise I won't kick the cat if I lose my patience lol.

Thanks again
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

You bet!

The easiest will be VideoStudio, it won't be a "permanent" solution unless you decide to buy it. I like the program for any number of reasons (this is just one, making HD on DVDs for Bluray playback is another - that's terrific, but there are many reasons to like the little program).

I would add Super© anyway, but maybe spend time with it when you aren't so rushed. As I said, it is very quirky. It has an interface only a mother could love.

Have fun!

Mike

Wayne Greensill November 9th, 2008 12:18 PM

Hi Mike

I have looked at the Super software you mentioned but Im a little unsure where you get the download from.

I have clicked on the link to say download free that then takes me to a page with two tables of different formats.

Im not sure which one to download as I need to rip it off dvd and edit it back into premiere.

Help!!!! lol

Thanks again
Wayne

Mike Gunter November 9th, 2008 01:31 PM

Hi Wayne,

They are very, very clever...

While I posted a link that I had thought would strip the various levels of junk, they put it back in.

The down load is in the third page.

Scroll to the bottom of the first, and click the Start Downloading Super,

On the second page scroll after "Main Features" to Download and use,

To the third page and scroll to the bottom, to Download Super© Setup File.

While I would do this, I would use VideoStudio for your project.

My best,

Mike

Wayne Greensill November 9th, 2008 01:37 PM

Mike I think I need my eyes doing :o)

Travis Cossel November 9th, 2008 08:31 PM

Am I the only one thinking that maybe you need to get permission from the original videographer?

I mean, the footage is his, the DVD is his .. it seems like an illegal move to take his work and re-edit it without permission .. regardless of whether or not he did a crap job. Just be safe about it I would say. Maybe see if the couple can get the original tapes from the videographer?

Wayne Greensill November 10th, 2008 07:10 AM

Hi Travis

The filming was done by a family member of the bride who is asking me to do this re edit for her.

She was let down by a videographer she booked for the wedding.

So the family got together to take the wedding.

Wayne