Contrast Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 8th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Contrast Problems

I have just started raising the contrast in my videos to make them pop little bit more. Since I'm new to doing this so I didn't know what the out come would be. The video looks fine until I output to dvd. The playback shows a lot distortion and lines when there is little to considerable movement.

I've used Final Cut Pro in the past and had the same problem but I just didn't know what it was. I now use Adobe Premiere and make the dvd using Encore. I was wondering if there is a way to stop or even reduce the distortion caused by the contrast filter. My only other option is to not use the filter but it looks so much better with it.

Any advice?

Thanks

Sean
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Sounds like an interlace issue? might want to post a still of the distortion so we can make a better judgment
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Johnson View Post
I was wondering if there is a way to stop or even reduce the distortion caused by the contrast filter. My only other option is to not use the filter but it looks so much better with it.
What filter are you using? Is it the Encore output filter? If so, don't use it. I don't know anyone who does.

Peter's right. It would help to see an example of the distortion plus a description of your workflow settings. Specifically your camera frame rate settings (24p, 60i, etc.), Premier project settings and Encore transcode settings.

Pay particular attention to your field settings. If you're shooting NTSC SD interlaced it should be lower field first. HD is upper. You could also output progressive to see if that changes things.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Another thought is that CRT TVs don't handle contrast well at all. So it may depend on the TV you're watching it on.

T
Tim Gilbertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Szilveszter View Post
Sounds like an interlace issue? might want to post a still of the distortion so we can make a better judgment
I would love to get a still of the distortion but it only appearing in the finished dvd. The edited mpgs look fine. I tried the dvd using multiple tv's and my laptop. I try taking a picture of the distortion. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques