It's been a while since posting a clip... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Major Player

It's been a while since posting a clip...

...so here goes.

The bride selected a pop/power ballad, so we didn't use many dissolves or very much slow motion.

Alastair brought up a good point in his post about using dissolves and the discussion that followed was very interesting. I really like to use dissolves for weddings, especially when using a slower song. Dissolves, B&W, Slow motion, Glidecam...can all be overused, but much of it comes down to personal style and personal preference. I applaud Alastair for stepping out of his box and succeeding in his new dissolve free production.

So feel free to tell me what you like and what you didn't like.
http://vonweddingfilms.com/v2site_im...NHighlight.wmv

Last edited by Mark Von Lanken; November 13th, 2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: link fixed
Mark Von Lanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Mark, link is dead.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jeff. It should work now.
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Mark I'm a big fan of your work. I loved the video. When the bride and groom are alone holding hands, did you shoot that before or after the ceremony? Also Did they have the fireworks or was that just an add on to end the video?
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Mark, I love it. In addition, I don't know what camera you use but your images are great. I don't have any specific comments, I'm swamped with work and shouldn't even be here in the first place.

BTW I received one of your training videos as a gift a year or two ago ago and I've been a fan of yours ever since. I love it that you are a part of this forum.

I only stumbled upon this place recently, having been holed-up almost exclusively in the Vegas forum for the last year or two. I absolutely believe I will be a better videographer after hanging around here for a while, especially with the likes of you being a part of it. Priceless!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Conner View Post
Mark I'm a big fan of your work. I loved the video. When the bride and groom are alone holding hands, did you shoot that before or after the ceremony? Also Did they have the fireworks or was that just an add on to end the video?

Hi Shawn,

Thanks. Yes, that series of shots was from their first look which happened before there ceremony. We put the first couple of shots from their first look in B&W to help with the time shift. We were also tying in the lyrics of the song.

The fireworks happened about 5 minutes after they left the reception. It just so happened that Oklahoma was celebrating it's Centenial with a big fireworks show just a couple of blocks from the reception venue. The B&G could hear the fireworks from their hotel room.
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Mark, I love it. In addition, I don't know what camera you use but your images are great. I don't have any specific comments, I'm swamped with work and shouldn't even be here in the first place.

BTW I received one of your training videos as a gift a year or two ago ago and I've been a fan of yours ever since. I love it that you are a part of this forum.

I only stumbled upon this place recently, having been holed-up almost exclusively in the Vegas forum for the last year or two. I absolutely believe I will be a better videographer after hanging around here for a while, especially with the likes of you being a part of it. Priceless!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words. We shoot with Sony Z1s. I'm glad the training video was beneficial to you.

I agree with you. We all get better by learning from each other and this is a great place to learn.
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
The B&G could hear the fireworks from their hotel room.
Should I be resisting making any comments here? d;-)

Anyways, nice video. I liked the shot of the groom looking at the bride's ring. That was quite a rock!
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Major Player

Mark good job! I liked the even lighting you had with this clip, the clip flowed very well from start to end. Thanks for sharing.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Should I be resisting making any comments here? d;-)

Anyways, nice video. I liked the shot of the groom looking at the bride's ring. That was quite a rock!
Hi Travis,

I had even thought of it that way. Thanks. Yes, she did get a really nice ring.
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Mark good job! I liked the even lighting you had with this clip, the clip flowed very well from start to end. Thanks for sharing.

Monday
Hi Monday,

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for watching.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques