RED: As it applies to our Businesses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 13th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #1
Major Player

RED: As it applies to our Businesses

So with the announcement of the RED Cameras is anybody eyeing them up for use in their wedding / event videography business? There are the many advantages to it. With some filters in post you can turn 3k shaky footage into perfect rock solid 1080p footage.

If you know you want a certain shot to be in slow motion and you have two cameras, you can shoot a shot at 60 frames per second. And if you have HDV as another camera at the event you could get the same shot in regular time.

You will be able to take pictures with the camera at the same time, if you are a company that does photo / video.

And you can use a variety of lenses, that you already have (Canon , Nikon) or you can also buy some RED lenses.

I am thinking I will be investing in this camera after I invest in more skills for wedding videography.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Major Player

My main consideration would be low-light sensitivity and manageable data rates. If its clean and killer in low light and can record a stream that can be edited on a laptop for an sde I'll be all over it.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm concerned about the form factor for handheld use, and if it will have auto focus. These are important considerations for running around at an event.

Also, record times for long events.
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Amen to what they said. I'm also interested as to what the actual price will be before you can actually hit record.

Not to mention, I'll need a machine that can handle all of it...
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Low light will not be a problem... at least for the S35mm sensor (and I'd imagine the 2/3rds will fair well).

Editing on a laptop however, probably not going to be that simple.

Potentially a great wedding camera, SDE camera... not so much unless you want to lug a MacPro around with you.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
If you know you want a certain shot to be in slow motion and you have two cameras, you can shoot a shot at 60 frames per second. And if you have HDV as another camera at the event you could get the same shot in regular time.
You can do the same today with an HVX or EX1, but yeah, I see your point

Quote:
You will be able to take pictures with the camera at the same time, if you are a company that does photo / video.
I've pointed this out in another thread on this site, but to get a Red that will equal the stills out of a 5D you have to buy the FF35 Epic that comes in at $35,000 for the "brain" only. Wait, looks like I'm wrong... the FF35 Scarlet will equal the 5D on specs for $12,000 "brain" only. My bad.

To equal the D-90 you're looking at the S35 for $7,000 "brain" only. That's a little closer to being sane when you factor in what it would cost you for a D-90 and an EX1, but after you've added all the goodies you need for a fully working camera who knows how much it'll cost.

Also, I'd rather either be a video guy or a photo guy, but not both on the same day. I've made that clear in the past too and don't want to re-hash that.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques