Super 8 Demo Reel - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
A large part of the ceremony can be filmed but also use video. Our packages start out at 3 roll minimums and go up from there to 15min, 30min and 60min.

We use Spectra Film and Video in California. We have been very pleased with the quality of the lab, telecine and customer service. There are others around but this is who we like. Cinelicous in California is another lab I would like to try.
Thanks John. We've been shooting some Super 8 too, but would like to find some other labs, thanks for the tip.
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
One more question John. I have only seen super8 on the web but you have used it. Do you think you If you fiddle, you can get something that looks similar using Nattress G Film effects.
providing you use a mac.
There are lots of plugins in the pursuit of getting the film look. If we shoot our Brevis 35mm adapter and mess with curves, we can get some very filmic footage. You can get something that is similar but I find the color depth and the overall organic look to be something I prefer. If Super 8 is the look we are going for. The other dynamic of this is that when you shoot with a Super 8 camera, people just can't help but to be drawn to it. The look the sound, etc. For some reason there is more of a respect factor. This last summer we shot a wedding with a prominent high end photographer and he saw me shooting Super 8 and said "now I can sell you on that" and asked for my card(s). That aspect is impossible to accomplish in post :)
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #18
Major Player

Trying to be open minded

Im glad you are having some success at this, but I have to provide the opposite perspective.

In the age of HD, and someday UHD, it's hard to believe anyone is buying into this.

This is a perfect P.T. Barnum quote situation;
"Without promotion something terrible happens...Nothing!"

and of course
"Theres a sucker born every minute."

What's next, shooting weddings on the PXL-2000?
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
Im glad you are having some success at this, but I have to provide the opposite perspective.

In the age of HD, and someday UHD, it's hard to believe anyone is buying into this.

This is a perfect P.T. Barnum quote situation;
"Without promotion something terrible happens...Nothing!"

and of course
"Theres a sucker born every minute."

What's next, shooting weddings on the PXL-2000?
Jeff:

There is a niche of clientele that want something unique. It is not for everyone by any means, whether shooter or shootee. I had a bride contact me because she saw the Tori Spelling wedding....pop culture dictates many trends. Will it stay? Who knows. I love HD and Super 8 and I believe they can coexist. We show Super 8 footage to people and we know right away if they want it. We never compare HD to Super 8, there is no point. We have also had Brides say they don't want to see themselves in HD...too much detail and these were beautiful girls.
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Jeff:

There is a niche of clientele that want something unique. It is not for everyone by any means, whether shooter or shootee. I had a bride contact me because she saw the Tori Spelling wedding....pop culture dictates many trends. Will it stay? Who knows. I love HD and Super 8 and I believe they can coexist. We show Super 8 footage to people and we know right away if they want it. We never compare HD to Super 8, there is no point. We have also had Brides say they don't want to see themselves in HD...too much detail and these were beautiful girls.
John:

I guess Im a little sheltered since all the weddings I shoot are couples in their late 30s and mostly 40s. They are all pretty conservative. The too much detail comment is on the mark though. I shoot accordingly.

My parents shot 8mm in the early 60s and then I shot a lot of 8mm in the late 70s and early 80s. I just had it converted to digital a year or so ago. I just don't miss it.

But, everything old is new again. Good 8mm footage you have, good luck.

Jeff
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
The look the sound, etc.
I thought you couldn't record sound anymore
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
I thought you couldn't record sound anymore
The sound of the camera in operation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques