Super 8 Demo Reel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Super 8 Demo Reel

This is a montage of some of the weddings where we utilized Super 8 film.

Northernlight Filmworks-Indianapolis Wedding Video: Super 8 Film - Demo

Thanks,
John
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey John,

Thanks so much for posting your clip - I thought it was very well done! I've only dabbled in S8 and hit some roadblocks with a bad camera. The footage all looks really clean in your piece and it gives a really nice nostalgic feel.
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #3
Trustee

I liked that a lot more than the last Super 8 that I commented on and moaned about (though I was cleared outvoted)! For me Super 8 has a certain nostalgic quality about it which can be featured without being confused with bad camera technique or editing. But I'm just an old f*rt about this as you know. Thanks for posting!
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Major Player

John,

That was some great work. How much experience did you have with film before jumping into the 8mm work? I would love to attempt something like that here, but I don't know if our brides would want it.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Bruce. We have had good results with our Canon but anything 40 years old is a risk.

Colin...no problem. Like I said people either love it or hate it and I keep asking clients why they choose S8 so that I can look through an objective lens of why people pay for it. Appreciate you watching.

Chad...I really had zero experience going into it, other than having a little photography background and just tried to learn as much about the medium as possible as well as study other work and films. Exposure and focus are 2 critical things to watch. I learn something every time.
Old November 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Major Player

hey John nice work. what camera are you using and do you have to take the film to the lab how do you go about getting it in either quicktime, avi formats.

I am looking at buying a super8 cam i was looking at the Canon 1014 XL-S or the nokin R10

what are your thoughts

Rob
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
hey John nice work. what camera are you using and do you have to take the film to the lab how do you go about getting it in either quicktime, avi formats.

I am looking at buying a super8 cam i was looking at the Canon 1014 XL-S or the nokin R10

what are your thoughts

Rob
Rob:
Canon 814xl & 1014xls. The 1014 is more quiet. IMO the Canons are pretty durable. Be sure the glass is free of fungus and that there is no corrosion in the battery bay.

I purchase our stock from Spectra in California...shoot it..then back to Spectra for processing. They telecine to transfer on mini dv and we capture from there.

Hope that helps
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Funny, I was in Los Angeles last week for some meetings, and drove past Super 8 Sound in Burbank. I stopped in, and watched their HD demo reel on their HD screen. Most of the shots were with various Fujii stocks, but MAN it looked terrific! So you have the option of getting an SD or HD telecine - pretty impressive.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Major Player

John

How would you charge for shooting super 8. I rang my local supplier they are asking $30 per film roll which runs for 3minutes then a setup fee of $40 plus $79 to transfer to miniDV

Not cheap and if you shoot 24p it's about 2minutes of footage. I can see myself going through a few film cartridges before i get it the way i want

Expensive.
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #10
Major Player

John

which film are you using and what frame rate are you shooting in
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hey John,

Very nice. Great music selection. Do you shoot the entire wedding in Super 8, or just stuff for the highlights video? Are you using a local lab to process your stuff?
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
John

which film are you using and what frame rate are you shooting in
Kokak Vision2 200T and 500T. B&W Reversal TriX. Vision3 just came out and will be ordering some of that.

We shoot in 18fps and tell the lab that when it goes for processing. You get a little more than 3min out of a 50' roll.
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Smyth View Post
Hey John,

Very nice. Great music selection. Do you shoot the entire wedding in Super 8, or just stuff for the highlights video? Are you using a local lab to process your stuff?
A large part of the ceremony can be filmed but also use video. Our packages start out at 3 roll minimums and go up from there to 15min, 30min and 60min.

We use Spectra Film and Video in California. We have been very pleased with the quality of the lab, telecine and customer service. There are others around but this is who we like. Cinelicous in California is another lab I would like to try.
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
John

How would you charge for shooting super 8. I rang my local supplier they are asking $30 per film roll which runs for 3minutes then a setup fee of $40 plus $79 to transfer to miniDV

Not cheap and if you shoot 24p it's about 2minutes of footage. I can see myself going through a few film cartridges before i get it the way i want

Expensive.
It is expensive. We shoot in 18fps and it gets a little more mileage. It does cause you to be very selective in your shooting and you learn that exposure is so important. Focus is a little more of a challenge with film and you learn each time you shoot. My heart pounds when we get a shipment back from the lab. A little anxiety and excitement at the same time.
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #15
Major Player

One more question John. I have only seen super8 on the web but you have used it. Do you think you If you fiddle, you can get something that looks similar using Nattress G Film effects.
providing you use a mac.
Robert Bec is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques