Scarlet... resounding thud? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #31
Major Player

I think most people hear the name RED and think $$$$. Instant put off.

As great as the products are, not much point if the market your using them in doesnt lend itself to such high end, high priced gear.
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
... some people here do say they rather go for the Canon 5D instead of the Scarlet, and I think some of them say that because of the 35mm sensor of the 5D. But I think they aren't really comparable...
I think the preference that some have stated for the 5D Mk. II has more to do with its immediate availability than any other factor. Among these folks there will be those who choose the 5D now and will then transition into Scarlet once it becomes available.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
The lowest Scarlet model is STILL that. Maybe it will be a bit more with accessoires, but it will be in the same area.

....that it isn't fair that RED isn't giving it anymore, while they are still keeping their promise (it seems) about the original Scarlet. It's just that there are now bigger models too, to choose from.
First, Scarlet followers had been promised Scarlet 1.0 by spring. Now that looks like fall.

Second, when Jim Jannard announced a new redesign, promise was still Scartlet would be available by spring, and that there would be amazing changes.

Third, many of us speculated, rooted and lobbied for a single model workhorse with a 35mm sized chip, mass produced like Pentaxes and Minoltas of the 70's that would revolutionize for use with 35mm lenses like Nikkors and Canons.

Fourth, along comes November 13, 2008, and the announcement was made, but it is clear now that at least at the low end, there would only be a fixed lens model... so nothing changed there except a delayed release date and now, instead of the promised around $3K ( I was expecting $4K) there is not a lot on pricing. Yes there were other amazing models and variations announced. Fantastic, but not really within reach of the mere mortals. With what is going to be available in the spring, looks like the you will have a $15,000 to $20,000 investment to get up an running.

Now its not Jims fault, that this didn't happen, because its probably is a technical or financial impossibility. But it still was something we had hoped for, and for a moment with Jim's announce change coming, we had visions of "sugar plums". Now back to reality.

And so for most event and indie low and zero budget film makers, it was a sort of a thud--- a non event, in the end.
Old November 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #34
Trustee

In Red's defense, the 2/3" fixed lens Scarlet is still very close to the idea they tossed out there a year ago, but now there are so many more enticing options out there that it takes some of the shine away from the low end models. 3K for $3K might be a little off, but I'm guessing you'll have a workable version with little LCD for $4K. That's not night and day different. If you want all the bells and whistles you'll have to spend more on rails, matte boxes, whatnot but you were going to have to do this with Scarlet 1.0 too.

The more I think about it, I think the reason the Event video market didn't go ga-ga on the 13th was in part due to the 5D and it's price point, the carrot of the nicer versions of Scarlet, and the realization that workflow, record times, and (possible) ergonomic problems might be something we'd have to deal with.

Anyone else feel that the idea of Scarlet being a soccer mom camera seems silly now?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
With what is going to be available in the spring, looks like the you will have a $15,000 to $20,000 investment to get up an running.
You must be talking about the $7,000 Scarlet S35 + lenses, modules, and accessories, right?

I think it's worth mentioning that the $2,500 Scarlet 2/3" Brain is not that far behind: "Summer/Fall (est.)". Jim said that RED's new 2/3" lenses will be priced in line with the price of the brain, I have the feeling it will only be about $1,000 each. I would guess we'll be able to shoot Scarlet 2/3" with a 16mm f/1.4 for about $4,500 in a fully-capable configuration.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
You must be talking about the $7,000 Scarlet S35 + lenses, modules, and accessories, right?
Yeah, thats what I meant. Its to the level of a 35mm sensor we dreamt of getting, though actually the FF is the one that gives the full 35mm frame..
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #37
Major Player

I'm not going to get overly excited about the Scarlet until pricing comes out and we see how well it holds up in low light. I also have the storage issue that has held a lot of people back from buying the EX1. Its a great camera, but I don't have enough storage space for all of those weddings.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques