Some thoughts on 5D vs 35mm adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Trustee

Some thoughts on 5D vs 35mm adapter

I've been considering dropping my 35mm adapter setup for weddings in favor of the 5D. I'll list my reasons and I'd like to hear some feedback from you guys.

1) I don't shoot all day with my HV20/Letus anyway, it's used mostly for detail shots and it almost never sees any use in darker rooms, sanctuaries, or receptions. Even with limited record times, it seems that I'd be able to use the 5D in more situations and get the same basic DOF I'm looking for with the adapter setup in a smaller package.

2) We currently bring along a D-70 to shoot a few things for use on DVD covers. If the 5D replaces both my D70 and HV20/Letus that would be one less camera to lug around.

3) With the 5D hanging around my neck, something I could never do with the HV20/Letus/Rails I could lock down my shot, leave my camera position during a slow point in the ceremony, and grab a few detail shots quickly and quietly that would have been harder to get with the HV20/Letus due to the low light issue since most ceremonys are a little dark to begin with.

4) There are fewer possible problems when using the 5D setup over the HV20/Letus. You don't have to worry about dust getting in as many places, you only have one battery to worry about, you don't lose the occasional shot because you forgot to turn on the GG motor, you're not dealing with a cumbersome rail system, and you don't have to deal with the hassle of accidentally bumping the cameras focus on the GG or worrying about shutter speed making the grain pattern show up.

I know the 5D isn't a perfect system by far and it has a few trade offs as well, but I'm not talking about using it for a main camera. In the manner I use my HV20/Letus, do you think the 5D would be a better choice? What are some reasons you think the 5D would be better or worse than the current 35mm adapter setups?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Ethan:

I purchased the Brevis and then the next week there was the announcement of this camera and then what followed was some sample footage. I know there were a host of lenses used in that demo but just the low light capability was amazing. I am seriously thinking of unloading my Brevis and sell my Nikon D2x to purchase this camera. The only problem i forsee is showing up and trying to convince the photographer that you are not trying to circumvent their job. I see alot more positives than negatives. It's going to come at quite an investment when you factor in the lenses but if you are like me and already do some photography then it really is a no brainer IMO. I think the waiting list is huge.
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Major Player

D90 and 5D2 is a replacement of the DOF adapter for most ppl end of story. Like you, I was using my HV30+Letus to shoot the preparation segment.. It is basically useless for any other parts of the day. I sold my Letus the day the D90 was announced. The D90 makes the Letus Mini look horribly overpriced for what it does. I'm looking to get a 5D2 but I'm also looking to upgrade to a HMC150.. soo many things to buy!
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't know all the details on the 5D. Can you shoot in Canon's 24F mode?
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I don't know all the details on the 5D. Can you shoot in Canon's 24F mode?
Travis: It's 30P mode.. but I can make it work with 24P footage..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Trustee

You're out of luck for 24p, for now. It's possible that it could be a firmware upgrade in the future and there's even been talk of a 5D MkIIs in the works, but that'll be at least another year if they go the IIs route.

I'm not opposed to mixing and matching frame rates for a few shots here and there.

-Ethan Cooper
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Even with RED's announcement the other day, I will still be going with the 5D2 as my next camera purchase. It will be easier than lugging around a 35mm adapter to the shoot, lighter and smaller and less obtrusive.

The problem, the only problem that I see is... convincing the photographer that you are only shooting video with the 5D. I know that If it was me shooting with the 5D, I would likely have a better camera than the photographer and better glass on it, so convincing them that I am only using it for video is going to be something that is beyond hard to convince them of.

On the other hand, any time where they are taking photos of copywritten poses, I am usually on a steadicam, not using a 35mm adapter so they hopeully will not mind if I use the 5D2 during the prep (they usually come late any way after I have gotten those shots)
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Trustee

With regards to photographers being territorial, I say screw em. I'm tempted to leave my comments at just that.

Seriously, I don't get scared if I see another video camera at a wedding. My guess is that they can't do as good a job as me anyway so what's the worry?

It's been my experience with photographers that the really good ones are much easier to work with and don't cause problems with us. It's almost always the ones who aren't that good who are the trouble makers. So if I move in to get a shot holding a 5D and there is a good photographer around, they most likely wont feel threatened, but a lesser photographer who would be giving me trouble anyway might. In that case, screw em. They'd be trouble anyway.

-Ethan Cooper
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
copywritten poses
You can't be serious ... you've had photographers use this "term"?
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
You can't be serious ... you've had photographers use this "term"?
yep

(this message is too short)
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Trustee

Well now I've heard everything.

-Ethan Cooper
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
copywritten poses,
What is a copy written pose? If I stand a subject in front of a white background and shoot a black and white photo am I infringing on Richard Avedon's copyright because he made a career out of it?
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Major Player

I wasn't the main videographer, I was just helping a friend out on his first multicam shoot and he needed another guy to help him organize and operate the second cam... anyway... yes I've heard the photographer say that his poses were copy written, and that nobody could shoot his poses with either video or still cameras, and nobody could be present unless they were being photographed.

I think the 5D2 would make more photographers this antsy as that now you have a camera comparable to theirs... what is going to stop you from snapping pictures as well and underselling them to their clients when they did all the hard work of getting everybody to pose correctly.

Even though, I kind of see where they were coming from, I can't possibly see me protecting myself that much. If I had set something up and a photographer comes up to me and says " I love that, can I get a image of it", who would say no? We are two different mediums, and are covering the same thing. If it is there, I say its fair game to take a picture or video of it.

Anyway... back to our regularly scheduled programing of the 5D vs 35mm adapters, for the wedding professional.
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Laronge View Post
What is a copy written pose? If I stand a subject in front of a white background and shoot a black and white photo am I infringing on Richard Avedon's copyright because he made a career out of it?
It has happened to us as well.
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I going to copyright some poses right now! haha. I'm having the same dilemma now with the SLR vs. the Brevis for weddings. I shoot 24p so I think the Nikon will be the better bet for me as it shoots in that mode already, I also already have quite a few Nikon lenses. Does anyone out there have the D90 and have used it for wedding footage?

Edit: Just realized the D90 is only 720P, Dam! That won't mix well with my 1080 :(
Joe Simon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques