Wedding clip for review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Wedding clip for review

A montage of clips from a recent wedding, would appreciate feedback.

Thank you.

http://www.derienzo-videoproductions.co.uk/jaco.wmv
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Major Player

John, you did a very nice job it was very well put together with the music I loved watching it, one thing I was not crazy about is the fast zoom in and out with transition between clips that did not go well with the music, but beautiful work .
What camera did you use ? and that looked like 24p setting .
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Trustee

When you have good solid shots, you don't really need the effects. Often times I felt the effect spoiled what was otherwise a nice shot.

My old rule of thumb with effects comes to mind on this one, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Color grading your footage is one thing, adding superfluous light rays and bloom effects is another. More often than not, these type of effects should be used to enhance or distract from otherwise bland or just bad shots. The shots you used them on didn't need it.

Your style and quality of shooting lends itself to a quieter, more refined elegance which doesn't need to be gimmicky to draw the eye or attract attention. What you just did in essence is to slap a 5 foot spoiler wing on the back of a Lexus. Trust your shooting a little more, it's good.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Major Player

I have to go with Ethan on this one. The effects too often serve to draw attention away from the shot. You've got some beautiful footage, but I would have shortened the song so as to leave in just the 'best of the best'.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
I have to go with Ethan on this one.
Can you teach my wife that phrase?

And don't think we're picking on you. Your end product could be so much better than it is just by editing things down a little further and de-cheesing it a bit. I'm almost always harder on guys who are close to putting it together and being pretty darn good but who need just a little nudge in the right direction. You're close. Keep tweaking your editing style just a little cause your shooting isn't very far off. Some people have the eye.

What adapter are you using?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

poetry in motion

Hi fellow Londoner,

A wedding is a fairytale for most brides, and film can be just the kind of poetry to describe it, so the style and romantic shot selection is perfect, (and much better than I do - i am primarily a stills photographer who dabbles in wedding film). I think the fluid quality would be enhanced by a stedicam of some modest proportion and cost and yes, timed with the music - but we both know, we only get one take, so it has to workfirst time. I would like to see more - a showreel perhaps.

The Home of Wedding Photography
Rodney Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi,

Thx for all the positive and constructive feedback. Yes, I do have these ray effects in my head! must stop using them! he keeps saying while adding another........

Thank you.
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Major Player

I liked it... how did you pull off that effect?
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Camera? If XH-A1, mind telling me what preset and or accessories you have to help give you a better picture?
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Arif,

No presets, Sony FX1, and magic bullet.

Cheers.
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques