Packaging - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Adams View Post
Is there a technology (besides Light Scribe) that will allow me to burn a graphical image directly to the top surface of a dvd?
Built into my Gateway computer is a Labelflash drive. It's the same thing as LightScribe except blue. See The Official Website of Labelflash™ . I haven't tried using it yet but maybe next year now that I will be making more wedding videos...
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #32
New Boot

Elegance has its price, but it may not be as much as you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
pardon me while I choke on the price of those album covers .... ack ack!!!

wow. No room to mark those up. I know I would NOT sell any more than ONE of those every other year. That is just too danged expensive now days.

I completely disagree with you Jason.. retail pricing is a bit steep... maybe you didn't realize that the listed price is usually for a dozen (not for one!)?

When you consider the time it takes to design a great DVD case, then cost of ink and paper, I can't imagine that the purchased case is all that much more $$$ (if you value time as $$$). And personally, I think a nice DVD folio is much more elegant than a standard plastic DVD case (and maybe with the front photo it'll stay out where they can find it when they want to see it!)

Just my 3 cents...

Cheers,
:-) Rob
Rob Rothkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rothkopf View Post
I completely disagree with you Jason.. retail pricing is a bit steep... maybe you didn't realize that the listed price is usually for a dozen (not for one!)
Ok I stand corrected quite obviously. I didnt' notice the little text that said "Price: $12.50ea. - 12/case"

I saw the prices on the right and the picture on the left (which was not a picture of a case of the item) and thought... "holy crap!"

That definitely changes things. So much so that I might just pick up a case for the several productions I am going to delivery this month.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #34
Tourist

DVD holder ejector built into Photo frame

if your looking to present your DVDs in a new modern way have a look at this link something different.

case Wedding Photo Frame and built-in DVD Holder on eBay, also, Photo Frames, Decorative Items, Home Garden (end time 14-Dec-08 19:16:59 GMT)

ebay Item number: 110324114385
Photo frame with built in DVD Ejector

Last edited by Conor Dalrymple; December 10th, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
Conor Dalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #35
Tourist

DVD Cases

We use these..

Wedding Video and DVD Cases - Exclusively Weddings

They are engraved and the brides love them.

Memory Lane Professional Videography
Regina Joice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #36
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Joice View Post
We use these..

Wedding Video and DVD Cases - Exclusively Weddings

They are engraved and the brides love them.

Memory Lane Professional Videography

Those are very nice, how long does it take to get them? Have you ever had any problems with them? How does the picture go on in the front? Also is there any space to put your company info anywhere on the case?
Kale Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #37
Major Player

re

i either use the black or white leather cases found here

Wedding DVD Cases - Blank DVDs - DVD Jewel Case - VHS Tape Packs - USA

i charge 10 pound for a normal black stardard dvd case, no cover, just a customised dvd made on my dymo disc painter, or 25 pound for one of the leather ones

does that sound fair?????????
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #38
Trustee

DVD Tins

We have been using clear plastic DVD cases and creating custom DVD cover artwork for the last 4-5 years.

We have recently added DVD Tins with a clear window (DVD Tins) as a different packaging option.

We use this option with our lowest priced packages. This way no cover artwork is required. All we design is the DVD disk artwork, which are printed on hub printable Watershield DVDs.

But if a couple who books a higher package would like to save some money, I suggest the DVD Tins. Since I am not designing artwork and saving on printing materials, I discount their package by $75. I see ti as a win win situation. I save time by not designing, printing and trimming covers, and the client saves money.
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #39
Tourist

Kale,

They have fast delivery, no problems at all with them. The picture slides in a separate
frame that you attach to the case. We put our company information sticker on the back of the case.

Gina
Regina Joice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #40
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Joice View Post
Kale,

They have fast delivery, no problems at all with them. The picture slides in a separate
frame that you attach to the case. We put our company information sticker on the back of the case.

Gina
Thanks Gina, I am going to look into adding these to my packages.
Kale Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Great topic! I think presentation of the final "tangible product" is where a lot of Photographers have been able to trump us Videographers... We put so much into our films, its easy to neglect packaging. It's an important first impression & the push to heighten standards should be a priority - so thanks for this thread!

Those who posted cover-art: David, Andrew, Peter and others - great work! We deliver something similar; a standard black DVD case w/ a retail, Hollywood-inspired outer insert (printed on high quality photo paper) and no internal insert. We use inkjet hub printable Silver-faced TY DVD-Rs w/ all-black text-only DVD face art for a clean, thermal printed look.

For months I searched for alternate DVD cases, shipping boxes, etc to get a higher-end look and feel only to come back to the old Hollywood standard DVD case and plain cardboard shipping box. There are creative ways to protect your shipment (ie colored gift basket stuffing), but its really whats inside the box that counts. And if a black plastic DVD case is good enough for a $200 million dollar movie, than its good enough for me.
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #42
Major Player

Amen Kevin!
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shahinian View Post
And if a black plastic DVD case is good enough for a $200 million dollar movie, than its good enough for me.
Ah but the customer is only paying $15 bucks for the DVD of that $200 million dollar movie. If they're going to pay 100 X that amount or more, then does the packaging deserve better treatment?

I think that improved packaging can also help in the sales cycle. Pulling a DVD out of one of those fancy stainless steel cases when meeting with a prospect might help make a positive impression.

2 cents from someone who still delivers in cheap plastic cases.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #44
Regular Crew

I ordered and received today the Supreme DVD Folio Album (white, double-disc) from Neil Enterprises (refer to post #3) and I must say I am very impressed and pleased with the product! I can't wait to see the faces of the bride and groom when I deliver their DVD's on these babies. Highly recommended if you do single or double disc DVD deliveries!

I uploaded higher-res pics so you can have a better look at them (the website picture is really small).

Picasa Web Albums - Chris - DVD Folio Album

Big thanks to Matt Bishop for sharing the link!

PS. I left the stock picture in the front but added my own DVD's inside.
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Estrella View Post
I ordered and received today the Supreme DVD Folio Album (white, double-disc) from Neil Enterprises (refer to post #3) and I must say I am very impressed and pleased with the product! I can't wait to see the faces of the bride and groom when I deliver their DVD's on these babies. Highly recommended if you do single or double disc DVD deliveries!

I uploaded higher-res pics so you can have a better look at them (the website picture is really small).

Picasa Web Albums - Chris - DVD Folio Album

Big thanks to Matt Bishop for sharing the link!

PS. I left the stock picture in the front but added my own DVD's inside.

Glad they are working out for you!! They are definitely high quality and a huge hit for me. It's just a better presentation and representation of the quality I want to portray throughout our videos....the little details always help!

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques