Packaging - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Estrella View Post
I ordered and received today the Supreme DVD Folio Album (white, double-disc) from Neil Enterprises (refer to post #3) and I must say I am very impressed and pleased with the product! I can't wait to see the faces of the bride and groom when I deliver their DVD's on these babies. Highly recommended if you do single or double disc DVD deliveries!

I uploaded higher-res pics so you can have a better look at them (the website picture is really small).

Picasa Web Albums - Chris - DVD Folio Album

Big thanks to Matt Bishop for sharing the link!

PS. I left the stock picture in the front but added my own DVD's inside.
I "thought" I was interested in these albums... now I am SURE I want them. Thanks for posting!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #47
Major Player

I am definitely going to have to order those stainless steel cases. Those scream 'high end.' Very nice!

I'd also like to add that I'm one of those guys who puts his DVD in a cheap little see-through case. Way cheap!

However, I always ask the still photog to see if he (or she) will email me some pics to print on to the DVD. No one has said no yet... and the DVD itself looks absolutely INCREDIBLE. Plus I always put a courtesy on the cover as well.
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #48
Trustee

Gallery - Glory Workz

Scroll along and you will see a black DVD case. Some locals here use this with a standarized leather type case. There are no photos or name of the couple, just the company name. But couples do like it still. I personally stick to the customised DVD jacket route so far.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #49
Tourist

Disk Artwork

Is there any way anyone would be willing to share with me a photoshop template for dvd cover. I am trying to make a nice one for my sisters wedding and I am not as creative as some of the ones I see here. Thank you!

robafloyd@gmail.com
Ryan Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #50
New Boot

100% customised professional wedding DVD packaging

Hi guys, this is what we have been delivering to our clients for the past 6 years.
Individually custom-designed and fabricated for every couple.

Perhaps this is the solution everyone would like to have?

more photos at:

Custom-fabricated Packaging for Wedding DVDs

Alvinadeline Weddings
email@alvinadeline.com
Attached Thumbnails
Packaging-01-double-dvd.jpg   Packaging-06-single-dvd.jpg  

Last edited by Alvin Lee; May 20th, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
Alvin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #51
Major Player

dude that looks awesome..

good work! mind sharing your sources?? :P
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #52
Trustee

Alvin,
Those look amazing! When I started this thread a while back I was hoping I'd stumble upon a really great idea that fit what I was looking for and I think your design is it.

The photos make that type of packaging possible, are you taking these yourself or getting them from the photographer? Where and how are you getting these printed up?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #53
New Boot

Hi guys!
Glad that you guys appreciate the packaging. They are all custom-made by us. You can't find the service anywhere.

We also faced the problem of finding a suitable packaging for our works when we 1st started out. Nothing works. Hence we started making our own. And now there are of a quality higher than the professional digitray-based music albums you find in CD stores. And we also have a black wooden jacket sleeve to hold the album (with a nice ribbon too). The sleeve is where we'll hotstamp our brandname. Our couples love it. Truly their very own wedding video album. No 2 designs are the same.

We do produce such packaging for thoes interested. However, overseas freight cost may be deemed too expensive for a start by most. But we believe if one's works is worth several thousands of dollars, the packaging should live up to it.

Interested parties may contact us offline.

The photos were captured by the wedding photographers.

The works featured on these 2 of my packagings were done by:
little.RED.dot photography
Red Co. Photography
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Sorry to rehash an older post but i think this is always a reoccurring subject with time.

has anyone gotten a new type of packaging for your DVDs? And i'm not talking about DVD sleeves but more the out side pocket sleeve, or package box. I've seen some pretty creative ones but i wanted to know what you guys and who you use to make your packaging.

Here are a few samples of my favorites and what i'm looking for.

By far #1 is from Alvin

Custom packaging: Alvinadelinewedding Disc Packaging

Simple but classy
Black & White Box

Some other nice one but not my first choice
Gallery - Glory Workz

Please share any information as we are trying to improve our final delivery product to our customers this year.

Thank you.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #55
Trustee

I am so impressed with the time, effort and expertise which so many people are putting into the packaging of their product. I start that way because I wouldn't want anyone to think I was denigrating the quality of their work. But I do have an entirely different view about the packaging of our product, perhaps because I was initially trained in marketing.

To my mind, there are three objectives or tasks for the packaging of disks available commercially for sale or rent.

1 To protect the product and keep it in top condition.

2) To catch the eye of the potential purchaser/renter, grasping the attention from other competing products,

3) Holding that attention, providing more information to encourage the potential purchaser to decide to buy/rent the product, ie make the sale.

Once it's done the packaging only has to fulfill objective 1, maintaining the disk in good condition.

My view is that in wedding videos (or corporate or event or any other form of commissioned or sponsored production which is to be distributed rather than sold) the sale has been made before the recording is even started. In the specific case of weddings, as far as the purchaser is concerned, the packaging only has to meet the first criterion, protecting the product. As far as the clients are concerned it's the programme/s on the disk which matter.

Of course, the packaging does have another purpose - but for us, not the clients. That is to impress other potential purchasers.

If I truly bothered about "chance" referrals (people who see the disk on the shelf rather than watching the programmes) I'd feel that the time and effort and skill others put into their packaging was worthwhile, but that's not the model of our business.

Finally, my views about the time spent on the disk face are even more different to most other people's.

Unless the outer packaging is transparent (in which case I consider the disk face in the same light as the printed insert sheet) the disk face is only seen for the few seconds which elapse as the client opens the case and puts the disk in the player. Does that really justify all the effort and time others put into it?

We supply a good quality black library case. The insert has a nice photo taken from the video of the couple, usually during the ceremony, their names and the date of the wedding. Those details are repeated on the spine. The back is reserved for our logo, contacts and legal notes with a reference to the holographic sticker on the front face of the insert showing that the music copyright clearance has been paid.

As I said at the outset, I admire the quality of other people's work; for our market at least, I just find it difficult to justify.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #56
Major Player

I agree with Philip that the disc face and box are not really an essential part of the delivered package.

However, some clients see a physical demo and you want to at least meet the DVD industry standards for packaging. So a nice, easy and inexpensive package becomes a necessary standard.

Plus, it takes about 5 minutes to throw together one of my DVD box PSD layouts like the one below plus a sheet of high quality paper for each print.

In the home burned disc market, the Taiyo Yuden Watershield DVD media is still currently the industry standard with a full color DVD face print with a compatable printer, usually an Epson. This also takes very little time and adds almost no cost.

So for extremely low costs and very little time you get:
Attached Thumbnails
Packaging-sarah-dvd-jacket-copy.jpg   Packaging-dvd-face-screenshot.jpg  

Old February 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #57
New Boot

Been receiving a few email enquiries on our DVD packaging. Thanks guys... Will reply you guys individually.

I guess we all agree with Philip that the contents of the DVD is definitely much more important than the packaging. It is the movie that sells, not the wrapping. I personally spend weeks on each wedding proj during post, but spend only half a day on the design and production of the DVD packaging.

However, I've seen some good wedding works that are being let down by bad packaging. The quality on the outside belittles the quality inside. Wouldn't a bride want to bring home her exclusive wedding video album presented as professionally as the works inside?
Photo albums are presented so beautifully. Why can video albums be so?

IMO a good DVD packaging is merely the icing to the cake. But it is the icing that makes the cake stand out from the crowd. Whenever I whip out my final deliverables to show my wedding couples (after impressing them with my content works), I never fail to notice that wide-eye expressions and that little elbow nudge the bride gives the groom. I know I can seal the deal.

In my local industry where the norm is either the plastic DVD sleeve or a generic custom-made case with the production company's name imprinted, a professionally customized-to-the-couple DVD packaging completes the perfect buying experience for the couple.
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #58
Inner Circle

I agree with Philip

Spending 2 days on DVD case design seems a little silly. I probably take less than an hour to design burn and print. During the wedding photoshoot I shoot a few stills on the camera (Ok they are only 2 megapixels but print up great)
I have a template for both the cover and the disk and use a selection of my stills to provide the disk background and cover sleeve.

I use simply plastic cases but the sleeve is printed on photo quality inkjet paper and under the transparent protector looks professional. I can safely say that every bride is delighted when she sees the case and I always get compliments about it!!

I reckon that's all you need to do.. time is money !!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Packaging-bennettcover.jpg  
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #59
Regular Crew

I totally agree with Alvin, in that it does add the extra buying experience, the cherry on the sunday. You must remember that if you want to charge a premium for your services, the content has to be superior then the norm but your packaging/image is as important. When the customer receives the their DVD the first impression will be from the packaging the way it is laid out, the creativity, print quality, the built of the product...

Jeff, IMO your DVD & DVD sleeve may illustrated the couples special day very eloquently but to me it would need a little bit more je ne sais quoi to give it that expensive "retail" look to it. For example the DVD logo is simply added to your label. I would've maybe rounded the corners or made it white on the darker background. The text is added over the picture in a way that you wouldn't see on a retail disc and i would've picked a different font instead of the default Microsoft Comic font.

I'm not saying its the wrong way to do it, to each is own, i'm just saying for my business and my type of clientele, i want to put in extra money and effort to give that extra customer experience.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
pardon me while I choke on the price of those album covers .... ack ack!!!

wow. No room to mark those up. I know I would NOT sell any more than ONE of those every other year. That is just too danged expensive now days.
This site has the same folio DVD cases for half that price:

wholesale photo albums wholesale wedding albums wholesale flushmount albums - CD/DVD Cases

Ask for Charlene and tell her I sent you!
Michael Simons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques