Do you give a preview copy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Do you give a preview copy?

I have always sent out a preview copy 1st of the edited video to let the couples make any changes that they would like. The only thing I do not include is the DVD menu layout or special packaging with this. I am just curious what others are doing?
Chad Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Same, they see a version that is ready-to-go (minus the customized menus). They have a 1 week review period for free changes. Usually, its minor tweaks like taking someone out of the video (go figure). This is stuff I wouldn't know just from shooting the wedding, so its nice for the couple to have a 'final say'. I know the flame-wars will begin about what technique is best. Having done both ways, I feel that this works best for me. Setting a deadline is KEY.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

We did, but don't think we will be in the future. I posted a similar thread a couple months ago that sort of got us to change our minds:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/wedding-e...inal-edit.html

If there is something they absolutely want, we would do it. Most of the changes have been to include a full speech, or include more of a particular older relative or (in the olden days) take out an antiquated affect.

Last edited by Miraj A. Berry; November 22nd, 2008 at 08:03 AM.
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I posted in that other thread I think, and this is my basic philosophy. If you give people a "preview" copy then they somehow feel "obligated" to find things to change. It's like you've put them in that mindset by telling them "this is a preview copy so you can watch it and think of changes".

I personally do not preview the video for the couple, and I haven't had a single complaint in 6 years of filming. Now granted, I go the extra mile to make sure that what they receive is as perfect as it can be. It's really up to you, but those are my thoughts.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:37 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I only do this for companies, but they pay me per hour. For weddings I have a fixed package price and then I decide how the end edit looks like. Sometimes they ask if it's possible to make changes and I allways say yes and tell them my hourly rate which they have to pay extra then. All said then that they rely on my experience that it will turn out allright :D
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
<snip> For weddings I have a fixed package price and then I decide how the end edit looks like. Sometimes they ask if it's possible to make changes and I allways say yes and tell them my hourly rate which they have to pay extra then. <snip>
We're not trying to be jerks at all, and luckily it's never come up yet (possibly because we've been always making any changes free of charge to date), but if you don't have anything in your contract about this very thing, it might be worth adding.

Like Noa said, it is a fixed package price most of the time. So we have a clause in our contract saying that the final video will be edited according to industry standards and all creative judgement is up to the videographer, or something along those lines, just in better legalese.

Thinking about it now, there isn't much difference between a client asking us to edit something differently, and a client asking us to shoot something differently during the wedding. And I don't mean, "Hey, could you get me and my dad with the dog," I'm talking about cinematic suggestions, "Could you start tight on the orchid right here, and then pull out while panning over to my dad and the dog?"

But, as Travis mentioned, nail it the first time :)
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Major Player

I have always given a preview for the last 8 years and always thought it was a nice touch to give brides the chance to change things. A previous thread regarding packaging really got me thinking about this. Sure, the video looks great, but it lacks the full wow factor with the menu design and nicer packaging and presentation that comes with the final copies. Most of the changes brides make are very minute and like someone said earlier are probably only being made because they feel like they should. I think I am going to change my mindset and not offer a preview in order to get that full wow factor and see how it goes.
Chad Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Chad, that was the equally important reason that I decided against doing previews. I want the bride and groom to watch their video for the first time and be "wow'd" by it. If doesn't have the packaging and the fancy menu, and if they're watching it with the "preview" mindset, it's not going to have the same impact.

Imagine going to the theater to watch a new release and it hasn't been color graded at all and when you walk in you're given a pen and paper to make notes on any changes you think should be made. You might still enjoy the movie, but it's going to be a vastly different experience.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques