Please Critique at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Please Critique

Hi Guys,
Here is a link to a demo compilation we did, any critiques would be great.
CinEmotion 2008 Demo Compilation on Vimeo

JB
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Let me first say that I don't shoot weddings unless someone makes me, so I may not be the best critic.

The good:
- Some really nice steadycam moves
- I like a lot of your shot composition - very intimate feel
- The roller coaster bit was brilliant

Not so good:
- The demo is too long for what you have - cut it in half
- Shots are mostly too long - much faster cuts would help
- Some shots are not in focus
- When racking focus from something not interesting like palm fronds, cut in with the rack in progress
- The dress tying shows up in two different places for no apparent reason
- The shoes are cute but you could do more with them
- The shot with the white lattice is very jarring - tough background to deal with
- Color grading is all over the place - you need to grade consistently for this piece

There's real talent in there to my eyes, but I'm a perfectionist. I think that fully half of what I do is rubbish so my comments are not as harsh as they might sound. (grin)

Keep working on it. I think you could make this really shine.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Jason!

I really, really liked it! I love the shot of the Tiki Bar sign with the shoes and the roller coaster.

My only question is at the end, it looks like there is a 3rd couple. From the beginning it looked like there were two couples, two stories we were following, but then at the end, the third couple sort of threw me off a bit.

But as far as quality, A++! :)
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Tripp this was my first attempt at grading so yeah it was all over the place. Will only get better in time. Miraj, there is actually 4 brides in there, I was trying to show a whole day in 3.5 minutes. I could understand how you feel though. Thanks for the great feedback.

JB
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Jason, great shots in the video. I am really impressed.

I have some questions. Did you use a DOF lens? If so, what kind? Also, if its not a burden can you tell me the setup on your camera when shooting these videos? (24F? Preset? Shuttler level?, etc...)

Thanks in advance!
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I won't repeat what others have said, except that for me the multiple brides thing was not working as well as it could. I was actually thrown off the first time you switched to a different couple, and then again at the end. The last couple was onscreen such a short amount of time it felt like an afterthought and really felt out of place to me.

All that said, I'm working on a promo trailer of my own right now .. first time for me. I'm very uneasy with creating a story that works and flows while at the same time doing so with multiple brides and not having the viewer get lost or confused. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I really loved the roller coaster shots. Loved the shot with the shoes at the Tiki Bar. Loved the editing and composition for the most part.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Jason, I'm not sure if it would be too distracting, but maybe subtle text saying the name of the couple when you introduce them for the first time? Or maybe something else that is a firm introduction. Whether it's their faces, or, if you don't want to super text, you might have a shot of something that has each couple's name on it. Like an invitation or favor or something.

I dunno...

Don't mind me :) I am so not the editing force in the business. Just trying to help!
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Arif,
Thanks for watching. I am using a Brevis and am shooting at 24f at 1/48th. Can't recall the preset though.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques