Which lapel/lav mic (not sennheiser) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which lapel/lav mic (not sennheiser)

So I want to run a good lapel mic into my Zoom recorder on the Groom.

Any one got a good quality suggestion?

Thank you!
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Giant Squid Mics are pretty good. Check them out: http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #3
New Boot

Could the Zoom not simply be placed somewhere close to the action and pick up the audio?
Scott Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:29 PM   #4
Major Player

These guys TramMicrophones.com - TRAM Lavalier Microphones and Tram Mic Clips are one of the preferred lavs used in the US film industry and they are quiet well priced, once I have the budget I will be purchasing a couple.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I looked at the Tram, PSC, Sanken, etc. Ended up going with the Countryman. Best bang for the buck in my view, small, and great sound.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Szilveszter View Post
... once I have the budget I will be purchasing a couple.
What's a 'budget'? =)

I don't pretend to know the first thing about which mics are best for our application, but I'm using $15 Audio Technica lavs and have been getting very decent sound quality. Trade-off is the 1/8" jack and really long wire, but the wire can be cut down for your needs easily. I'm sure it's not super-sexy quality wiring or anything, but at $15 it's not a big investment and it might work very well for you.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I use this Audio-Technica omni lavalier ATR35s into my Zoom H2 and it sounds just fine. It's not expensive either

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATR35s Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Microphone

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glavan View Post
What's a 'budget'? =)

I don't pretend to know the first thing about which mics are best for our application, but I'm using $15 Audio Technica lavs and have been getting very decent sound quality. Trade-off is the 1/8" jack and really long wire, but the wire can be cut down for your needs easily. I'm sure it's not super-sexy quality wiring or anything, but at $15 it's not a big investment and it might work very well for you.
Cheap is fine but for me the audio quality is important, currently I have the giant squid lav but I definitely will upgrade to TramLavs as the audio reproduction is way better and things like handling/rubbing noise is much better.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques