What do you do after you shoot suoer 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 24th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What do you do after you shoot suoer 8

I pretty much really high end as far as gear goes for weddings.. with numerous crews shooting... at two studios
I personally do both photography and video...
I am intrigued by the thought of shooting some super 8 as an add on to our packages...
what would be the process after the shoot...
send it out for conversion.. I would need it HD... can any one layout the process.. and maybe show an example of some finished work...

Thank
Bob
Photographic Artists Cinematic Video
Robert Musiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Musiello View Post
I am intrigued by the thought of shooting some super 8 as an add on to our packages...
Your clients are intrigued by getting what (additional) deliverable?

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i was thinking of adding the option.... to the HD package...
Robert Musiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I was recently in Burbank, and dropped by Super 8 Sound - aka Pro8 PRO8MM | BURBANK CA | CAMERAS | FILM | LAB | SCANNING and was able to view their HD transfer of several of the Fujii stocks, as well as Kodak's Vision stocks.

Pretty. Dammned. Amazing.

Seriously, the fujii looked much better than I expected. The HD scans were extremely sharp, and honestly, the super 8 footage looked much better than the old 16 I used to shoot back in my early career as a newsphotog in TV. Yeah, the filmstocks have come a lONG way since then.

Basically, you can shoot either reversal or any of the new negative stocks. Return the film for processing, and they do a transfer to tape, with color correction of the negative. Various levels are offered from SD to HD - so check out the price list. Also 'bulk' and package deals.

But Pro8 is just one shop, there are others. So look around.

A thing to remember if you are shooting with an older camera, they are not all 'notched' for the new negative stocks. In the old days, the cameras only had to accomodate something like four different ASA's. Now there are more filmstocks available, but they are being loaded into the old cartridges. So the camera might not 'read' the notch on the cartridge and set the exposure correctly. Talk to the lab about your camera, and what stock you are using, and you might have to compensate by overexposing or underexposing a stop or two.

yeah, you have to understand exposure, and even how to read a meter... and whether or not your camera has a 'tungsten/daylight' filter built in.

In short, you'll have to have a basic understanding of exposing filmstock. If you're coming from a still background, no big deal really.

So buy a roll or two - shoot it, get it transfered to tape and edit as usual.

Super 8 properly exposed in a good camera, is really beautiful. But if you're expecting scratches, blow-outs, high grain, dust particles, gate weave, judder and such - just add that in post with 'effects' on your video. A good film camera, (Super 8, 16 or 35) properly maintained won't show that.

Have fun and enjoy the latitude of film.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #5
Major Player

after watching a John moon's demo a few weeks ago I "up'd" my interest in super 8 as well. The initial start up seems relatively cheap. Super 8 cams run anywhere from 50$-300 "average prices" on ebay. I Purchased a Nikon R8. It hasn't been delivered yet but I have been very interested in shooting on film.
I've called a few places to see what the best bang for my buck would be for Stock, process, and telecine "transfer". Companies on the west coast such as Pro8mm and spectra put out an amazing product, but seem a little pricey. Pac-Lab in NYC said they would do it all for about 50$ and Dwaynes photo for 40$. I'll most likely start out with one of these two, but i dont think there selection of stock is limited.
I watched a video on youtube filmed with a canon 814 on vision film. It looked 100% amazing and much better then video on my DVX100B.
Also, if someone knows a place cheaper then PacLab or Dwaynes photo please let me know.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques