DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Do you film the photographer? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/138896-do-you-film-photographer.html)

Peter Rush December 3rd, 2008 02:01 PM

Do you film the photographer?

Hi - I'm fairly new to the wedding video business (but many years corporate/documentary filming) and would like to know how you all handle the photo shoot. I see my job as documenting the day and (rightly or wrongly) am assuming that having the photographs taken is a big part of the day.

Rather than simply replicate the shots that the photographer is taking (I work closely with a friend who is such a photographer) I film the pictures being taken and then cut to the actual shot that was taken at the time. I feel that this captures the photo shoot as an event in itself.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Pete

Tim Harjo December 3rd, 2008 02:33 PM

Sounds like you are doing a good job if you are doing that. I usually include a couple shots of the photog more so for effect.

Edward Phillips December 3rd, 2008 02:34 PM

I use the photo time as an opportunity to get close ups of the bride and groom especially as they do a "kiss" pose. These shots often get used in slow motion montages. That's more valuable to me than a documented shot of the photog working. Family and friends often get real giggly during pictures and it makes for great sentimental shots. I stand off from the photog and let them do their thing so that no one ends up diverting their eyes or anything like that.

Josh Green December 3rd, 2008 02:56 PM

A lot of times I'll include the photographer in the shot so that the viewer knows what is happening. Especially for the portraits where the couple is basically smiling and looking at the photog's camera. I try and always keep the focus on the couple but sometimes I think it's necessary to show the photographer.

Kelsey Emuss December 3rd, 2008 03:00 PM

I always get footage of the Photographer at work...I find it impossible to avoid them actually. However, I don't always use that footage in editing. Sometimes it's included in the highlight video or sometimes I do incorporate it into the Photo shoot video depending on what look I'm going for.

One thing I've done in the past with photographers that I like: I video them setting up shots and then insert the image (after they've edited it) to show what they produced from that moment. Then I give them the footage to use on thier website in exchange for refferals. Let's be honest...Photographers are always asked to refer a Videographer!

Noa Put December 3rd, 2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss (Post 972365)
One thing I've done in the past with photographers that I like: I video them setting up shots and then insert the image (after they've edited it) to show what they produced from that moment. Then I give them the footage to use on thier website in exchange for refferals. Let's be honest...Photographers are always asked to refer a Videographer!

That's an interesting idea Kelsey, I think a lot of couples ask a photographer if they know a good videographer. It only requires them to provide you some photo's and as far as editing goes it's really easy to produce a short behind the scene video.

Kelsey Emuss December 3rd, 2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 972394)
That's an interesting idea Kelsey, I think a lot of couples ask a photographer if they know a good videographer. It only requires them to provide you some photo's and as far as editing goes it's really easy to produce a short behind the scene video.

Thanks Noah!

You can easily do a rough cut of the footage you want to you while you're in there editing the B&G's footage. Like you say, it's a quick edit to put it all together once you get the pics!

Marion Abrams December 3rd, 2008 08:16 PM

My videos are documentary style. About the experience of the bride and groom. So I always include a few shots over the photographers shoulder of the B&G.

There are a few near the beginning and after the ceremony in the first sample on this page.
Video Samples

Bill Grant December 3rd, 2008 11:59 PM

Marion,
I love that song. I've been thinking of using something from the Once soundtrack, but the songs are all so sad.
Bill