Do have time with the Bride and Groom for your own formals? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Do have time with the Bride and Groom for your own formals?

In another thread Oren Arieli mentioned that "It always amazes me when a videographer can staged footage without the photographer present... do you work with a photographer that will give up some of his shooting time for you?". I thought it deserved a thread of it's own.

Up to now, we don't really get any time "alone" with the bride and groom. We'll usually try to "steal" some shots of the bridal party and family while the still photographer does their thing. But, I'm never really satisfied. I'd much prefer to choreograph some video setups without having to worry about getting in the way of the still photographer.

So, we decided from now on to tell the Bride and Groom that we would like some time for a video shoot. Even if we can get just a half an hour, I feel it would add a lot to their final product. Anyone else do this? Time is usually tight at weddings at it is, but we figure if we let them know when the book us, they can set aside some time for video "formals". And, if you are doing this does cause any issues with the photographer?
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Major Player

I have 2 trains of thought in this regard.

1. The B&G have hired a photographer that they obviously like and are hoping to get some photo's out of the designated photo shoot time that reflect that person's style and creativity. So in that respect I like to somewhat stay out of the way and let the photographer do their thing and keep the B&G happy.

2. On the flip side, they have also hired me for a specific reason and I want to deliver a product that they are happy with. Which might mean that I have some ideas that I think they might enjoy having in their video and I want to find a way to make that happen.

Here's how I make those opposing ideas work for me. I spend the begining of the Ph shoot reassuring the photographer that I won't get in the way etc. If I feel like the Ph'er is doing some great stuff that I can work with I usually take a back seat and only occasionally suggest things when the Ph'er is changing batteries etc.

However, if the photo session is not going great I've learned to be more aggressive in my suggestions. Luckily, I'm a pretty creative person and familliar with Photography so I often find the photographer thrilled with my ideas and eager to shoot that also.

Hope that helps.
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Major Player

I'll agree with Kelsey on this one. I shoot mainly as a still photographer at weddings and have only taped two weddings. Sometimes when I am the still photographer the fury of the wedding day makes you lose your train of thought...which is why I usually have a written plan for poses/shot locations ahead of times. But sometimes...things just aren't working like I expected or I am out of eyes (overthinking things).

At a wedding this past June the videographer stepped in (he asked me if it were okay) and directed the bride and groom for two shots. I REALLY APPRECIATED THIS and realized that if you are just an observer of the photographer/not worrying about composing the photo or making sure people are standing a certain way that you're brain is clearer and you can think the obvious a lot better.

So yes, still photographers appreciate when you politely step in. Maybe not all of us but the thing I always try to remember is that we are working for the bride and groom. I do not mind videographers shooting the formals as long as they don't take still photos.

I will gladly send them a still photo for a DVD cover/DVD face if they need a higher resolution picture. When I read about the photog/videog wars on some event photography boards I just wonder...why?
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Adam and Kelsey,

Thanks for you input. I probably wasn't clear in my original post. I've shot tons of weddings, working around and with the photographer. I know they have a lot to do and I'm fine with that. I let the do what they need to do and I don't get in the way.

What I'm asking is, after the still photographer finishes his work, do any videographers have their own time with the couple strictly for video purposes. For the record, I don't mind if the photographer wants to grab some shots while we're doing this, as long as they show us the same courtesy that we afforded them during the formal photo session.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Major Player

William- I recently started asking the B&G for some dedicated video time after the photo shoot. The clients I approached on this were totally cool with the idea. The challenge was when it actually came down to the wedding day and things were running behind schedule, guess what got cut? The other thing is to make sure the Photog knows the plan too and that your time is built into the master schedule.

I also agree with Adam in that most photographers I've worked with really get into taking shots of the video shoot. It gives them a different perspective and I'll sometimes come up with ideas that they didn't think of.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Trustee

It boils down to what is more important to the B&G. It will not occur to them to offer you dedicated time, because traditionally the photographer runs the day. But, if you ask them for it, and they decide it's important to them that you have the time, then it's their decision. Nothing makes the photographer inherently more important than you. Photographers are used to running the show, cause that's what's always happened. But things are slowly changing. He has a job to do, but so do you.

In my experience, photographers are very reasonable. They often value your input and are happy to stand back and let someone else come up with ideas for once. Have the B&H tell the photog before the wedding day that you will take time with them. Introduce yourself on the day, or before, and discuss what's going to happen. Cooperate to give the client value for their money. What can the photog say? It's their day, not his....
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The few weddings I've shot have been of the traditional sort where the photographer has the most control and first dibs. For the most part, it seems like the Bride and Groom want staged photos but the video is more of just 'record the moment'.

But even if I was given time I'm not sure what I would shoot.

What are some of the things that you would record though if you did have your time with the bride and groom?

Most people aren't too nervous taking photos because that is a split second where they have to pose and smile, but video is a whole other beast where you have to deal with camera shyness.

Best,
Andy
Andy Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Olson View Post
What are some of the things that you would record though if you did have your time with the bride and groom?
Anything - but have them move! A good part of the photo sessions are portraits - stand still, look over your shoulder, smile - not very interesting in the video edit. I have worked with a few "photojournalist" style photogs that tend to get the party animated, sometimes running, jumping and other cool stuff to shoot.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Inner Circle

depends on the couple and how important video is to them. some I've worked with want doco style. fine.some want more so for those we find interesting things to do, be it at a park, by water, in downtown Chicago (some great places to shoot) or whereever. It's up to them. IMO for the day they're the boss.
As for photogs, I'm pretty lucky. I work with a lot of the same folks a lot and we get along really well so if I tell them I need 15 minutes to do some cool video stuff they're OK with that. Some cover my stuff, some take a break. If the photog is in a shot during the formal session (I generally leave the camera running pretty much the whole time) that's fine. I'll use that where appropriate and maybe speed it up to show how hard he's working ;-)
I guess it boils down to the couple, the photog and my feeling for the day.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Olson View Post
Good question Andy.

.... I just noticed as I was beginning to respond that Art weighed in with exactly what I was going to say - moving shots. We're starting to shoot with a GlideCam and I want to get the couple moving to take full advantage of the GlideCam shots.

The one thing I would add is that I'd like to get closer to the couple. I try to stay out of the photographers way, so that often forces me to shoot from a further distance than I would prefer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques