Lighting for backyard receptions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Lighting for backyard receptions

The camera lights on each of our cameras only goes so far, and no matter how much I warn them, couples never ever light their backyard ceremonies appropriately. When we turn away our cameras the dance floor becomes pitch dark, so we get blamed if we don't light the whole evening.

I'm considering bringing my soft boxes to the next one as a backup. If I can light the dance floor even a little bit, it will most likely save their evening. I've got to think the couples regret the fact that they cannot see three feet in front of them, let alone the video quality.
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Trustee

For aesthetic purposes, maybe try large china balls. They should give off nice soft light much as a softbox would, but they'd look a little more pleasing. I've never tried this myself, it's just a theory a this point, but it sounds like a good idea.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

china balls would probably do the job except for a few things.
1) you need to hang them (generally) and enough of them to light the area-might be problematic from a logistical point.
2) cost-they ain't cheap and I would guess you would probably need a whole lot of them
3) don't forget striking after the job. They need to be taken down (carefully if you plan to use them again which I think you would ;-)) and then packed, again carefully, and transported. This can really add to strike time.

I would try the softboxes and maybe even gel them to give a more 'romantic look'-perhaps some 1/4 CTO gel.
Just some thoughts.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques