What paper do you use for your DVD covers? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 11th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Use Matte Paper IMO

Hi...

I find glossy paper not ideal as the ink takes longer to dry, colours can fade and as you are sliding it into a glossy (or semi-gloss) case sleeve what's the point?

Much better to use a matte paper. I find this Epson paper very good 'professional' looking quality when used with my Epson printer

Epson A4 Matte Heavyweight Inkjet Paper: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Hope this helps - Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss View Post
I use this product: Jewelboxing - Super Jewel Box Packaging System - CD and DVD Cases

The paper is thick and soft like cotton.
I have found my new method! Wow, that looks amazing. Do you have any negative comments about this packaging system?
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Not anwering your question, but perhaps a small tip very related.

I use kunaki.com for all my printing needs. Upload your DVD master, cover inserts etc, and you can print 1 or 500 copies on demand whenever you want, shipped to wherever you want. It is around 2$ a DVD for dvd with case cover, innlay, DVD cover, all shrinkwrapped.

With current prices for ink and paper where I live, this is actually cheaper for me, and customers love the touch of having the DVD wrapped. All local printers have much higher costs (near 6$ each for DVD+packaging, 50 copies minimum)

Just a tip, some might want to check it out.
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #19
Major Player

I used to do graphics and shop work for a local print shop so i have access to various papers at wholesale. I prefer to use C1s cover stock (aka heavy card stock) that has an ultra high gloss coating on one side and is standard on the other. I print it full color on my HP color laserjet using a custom photoshop templete I reverse engineered from a job I sent to discmakers (they used to have templates on their website you could download.) I trim by hand for quantities under 10 and insert into clear fullsize cases. Over 10, I take them to a local print shop and have them cut to spec.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #20
New Boot

dvd covers

I buy amps dvd template covers and they are excellent highly recomend if you are in the UK check out apr media for great prices I buy every thing from them.
I also get a white leather style with velvet interior from them also something a little more special for weddings.
Aaron Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif Syed View Post
I have found my new method! Wow, that looks amazing. Do you have any negative comments about this packaging system?
Glad you like it! It's a pretty good product overall!

Pros: *Amazing customer service!! If I have a problem (see "cons" they are on top of it ASAP!)
*Tons of options for design!
*I've had GREAT feedback from clients
*Looks really proffessional

Cons: *I have had shipments were the paper had an ink steak on EVERY page!! Or cracked cases on arrival. BUT they send out replacements plus extra ASAP! So no biggie
*Can be tedious casing each DVD for big orders. I had 2 oders for 70+ DVD's and It took HOURS to print/package them.
* The paper is THICK and if I print the case mostly black you can sort of see white on the edge when you "punch iot out". My solution is to run the edge of a black marker down the edge of the paper and it disappears.

Give them a try though!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #22
Major Player

Re: What paper do you use for your DVD covers?

Digging out on old thread here.. what paper do most of you use for inkjet printer?

I need to print both sides because I prefer using a clear DVD case. I've tried glossy & matte but they don't print on both sides (atleast not on the one I bought). So, I've been using a 100 gsm paper.. but they don't look flash, plus the print on the other side is slightly visible from the front.. :(

Anyone got recommendations?
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #23
Major Player

I print at FedEx Kinko's and ask for the executive paper 69¢ per print
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #24
Inner Circle

You might look for "Brochure" paper, which is glossy and meant to be printed on both sides.
Old May 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I also use Jewelboxing cases. They are great. Their pre-perforated paper was a real timesaver, but the shipping costs to Europe from Chicago are a bit steep. I now buy the Jewelboxing cases locally, and use Canon High Resolution paper. It's no fun having to cut the paper to size with knives, but the result looks great.

Under plastic, glossy paper is not necessary.

PS. I did try HP photo paper once, but the results were horrible. Does HP put a Canon ink repellant on their stock?
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
Digging out on old thread here.. what paper do most of you use for inkjet printer?...Anyone got recommendations?
Hello Johannes. I find that inkjet is great for disc printing but that most paper finishes are not appropriate for full bleed (edge to edge) 2-sided color printing on inkjet. If you have access to a color laserjet, there are many glossy cardstock papers that will produce nice results via laser. If you do not have access to a laserjet, contact local copy companies to find one using a color laser copier or digital press that can handle short runs. Fedex Kinkos can be nice but check them carefully, they do not often monitor the output and I have ended up with many prints from them that have streaks or other aberrations. I only print in house inserts for runs less than ten. At ten or more, the outsourced pricing is cheaper and the quality is better.

Also, if you have a large full-service print company nearby, call them and ask for the production manager (or similar position) and ask that person if they have any 80# coated cover weight stock that is inkjet compatible. When I used to work in print we would get some in from time to time and often cut it down for a client to pick-up blank sheets. If they do have it, see if they will give you a sheet to test before purchasing any stock outright as inkjet compatible does not mean your ink and inkjet, necessarily...

Good luck!
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #27
Trustee

I tried all kinds of inkjet paper before, and didn't like them because of smearing or long drying times. I'm very happy now with Kodak glossy photo paper. Dries instantly and doesn't smear in the dvd case.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss View Post
Glad you like it! It's a pretty good product overall!
. . .
Give them a try though!
I love the look of this too. I just ordered a sample. Thanks Kelsey!
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #29
Major Player

An update on my interest in the Jewelboxing solution:

I received the sample I ordered very quickly -- shipping seems to be very fast, so I'm immediately pleased by that. I ordered the larger DVD jewel box, and the sample was a fully-assembled piece, with all inlays printed and placed, along with a printed/labeled DVD with a few clips on it about Jewelboxing.

I'm impressed with the look of it, and will be using them to deliver wedding DVD's/Blu-rays. My only wish is that the sample would have come with the blank sheets, so I could print/assemble one on my own. But seeing a fully-produced one was also helpful, and has solidified my decision to become a customer.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:03 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Graham View Post
An update on my interest in the Jewelboxing solution:

I received the sample I ordered very quickly -- shipping seems to be very fast, so I'm immediately pleased by that. I ordered the larger DVD jewel box, and the sample was a fully-assembled piece, with all inlays printed and placed, along with a printed/labeled DVD with a few clips on it about Jewelboxing.

I'm impressed with the look of it, and will be using them to deliver wedding DVD's/Blu-rays. My only wish is that the sample would have come with the blank sheets, so I could print/assemble one on my own. But seeing a fully-produced one was also helpful, and has solidified my decision to become a customer.
I just received my Jewelboxing "King" sample yesterday, too. I thought the case was absolutely terrific -- a relative thought it was "over the top" -- but I was not happy to see white perf marks along every perforated edge on the paper inserts. Those reminded me of why I currently print my own covers (for the standard cheap-o clam shell DVD cases) and use a large paper cutter to cut them down to size. I wondered if someone at Jewelboxing hastily ripped the perforated inserts for my sample! In reality, I think a typical person would not notice the white perforation marks/tears; still, for such a slick looking product, I would think something could be done about the perf marks.

I wouldn't mind printing my own inserts on regular paper, not Jewelboxing's perforated insert stock, but the thought of cutting intricate patterns on at least one those inserts is a strong negative for me.

I'm curious to know whether you saw white perf marks. Maybe I'm OCD...
Steven Reid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques