What paper do you use for your DVD covers? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: What paper do you use for your DVD covers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Reid View Post
I'm curious to know whether you saw white perf marks. Maybe I'm OCD...
I didn't notice them originally, but upon closer inspection, I do see them. For me, it's not as much of an issue, because I plan on them being mostly white anyhow.

They were clever, though, as I was paying more attention to the nice photography and design than the perfs! :)
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #32
Regular Crew

I use Inkpress semi-gloss duo 8.3" rolls. It has a nice finish and is relatively cheap
compared to the other photo papers.
Dustin Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Moore View Post
I use Inkpress semi-gloss duo 8.3" rolls. It has a nice finish and is relatively cheap
compared to the other photo papers.
What kind of printer are you using the rolls with and what weight (thinkiness, bond, stock, etc) is the paper? What made you choose to go with a roll fed printer? Do you do photography and photo printing as well?

Thanks! We are considering adding some smaller format in house printing options for our photography at this time and would find these answers helpful.
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #34
Regular Crew

On the Inkpress Roll Paper, I use an Epson R800. I use the roll paper because my catalog
of videos includes 2/3/4 and 5 disc sets all with different case thicknesses. The four disk cases are
an inch thick and that is bigger than a standard perforated DVD insert. Hell, they are larger
than a regular letter sized sheet of paper so its either go roll paper or use A4. Hard to find
A4 in the states here.

Originally I was disappointed with the texture of the perforated inserts and they were expensive
to boot. The texture was never right. The Inkpress is halfway between matte and glossy, about
the right thickness, and it takes the 8-color ink from the R800 very well. It's designed to be a "cheap" proofing paper for magazines which is about the quality one wants for a DVD insert.

The downside of this operation is that it is a lot of work. Loading roll paper into an R800 takes a lot
of finesse and I only really figured out how to do it after I had owned the printer for four years and
tried everything. The R800 can be a bit moody when it comes to changing from sheets to rolls.
Also, you have to cut every insert from the printed roll so you always have to
have the disc-photo cutter handy.

I don't sell very many videos in a year but when I do I want the print quality to be fantastic and
the R800+inkpress semi can do it.

As far as photography, the R800 is fairly serviceable but it is an old model. I chose it because
I can get reliable high saturation images out of it (I shoot fireworks etc.) and not for photographic
quality. You should consult a reputable photography website for advice about high quality photo printing.
I would imagine that any printer that can feed an 8.3" roll will work fine with the Inkpress paper.
Dustin Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:29 PM   #35
Major Player

Thanks for the walk through. I can see why you went with the workflow you have established. They are many of the same reasons I outsource my printing to a local print shop. The quality is so much better than anything I can do at a reasonable price. We do have a large format roll printer (40 inch) we use for photos on canvas and large format photo printing but I have never used it for DVD printing mainly because of the cutting involved.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:32 AM   #36
Inner Circle

I use Costco Kirkland Photo paper with Epson Artisan 50 photo printer. The result is great! I made my own Photoshop template that I move the paper to the top left. Then with Borderless printing, I just need to trim the bottom and right edge. You can download the template here

DVD cover design and DVD label printing | L.A. Color Blog

get an xacto knife and those "self healing" cutting matt

Staedtler Cutting Mat Clear by Office Depot

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques