What paper do you use for your DVD covers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 7th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Major Player

What paper do you use for your DVD covers?

At first I bought some premium high gloss photo paper.. It looked great before putting it into the DVD cover. Once inserted inside however all of the ink seems to stick to the plastic, and end up looking pretty bad. I've now switched to satin photo paper. It doesn't have much of a gloss. I know there is something better out there though. I use a Epson RX580 for print.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

i use premium glossy with an Epson R265....once left to dry for 20 mins the ink never comes off.

Is it definately inkjet glossy?
Vince Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Major Player

I am on the verge of buying the below "EPSON A4 PREMIUM GLOSSY PHOTO PAPER" paper. Do you think it will suffice? Am a little worried after hearing your story about the ink sticking!

My main concern is that, once I fold the Photo-Page twice to accommodate the 14mm spine, the image could 'break', if you know what I mean. Like, the white paper beneath might show through a crack/seam in the inkjet-photo image where I've folded it...

Normal 'Blockbuster' DVD covers aren't printed on normal glossy photo paper, are they? I'm not sure myself, and totally new to this. Any suggestions appreciated.

Here is the paper I'm on the verge of buying for my DVD covers:

EPSON A4 PREMIUM GLOSSY PHOTO PAPER: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Baker View Post
i use premium glossy with an Epson R265....once left to dry for 20 mins the ink never comes off.

Is it definately inkjet glossy?
Hi Vince, Novatech are pretty expensive when it comes to shipping to Northern Ireland and cost nearly as much as the Epson paper, so I thought I'd just give the Epson stuff a go while I 'start out'. Thanks again for the Novatech tip though. By the way, if you order from them via the 'top cashback' site you'll get 3% cashback.
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use HP Everyday Photo Paper

It's Semi gloss. This paper dries right away, so you can put it to use immediately - and without sticking. Try it.. you won't miss all that gloss stuff for a second. Since it goes under that plastic film (on the dvd case) it looks just as good as the glossy expensive paper, but without the cost and without the sticking.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

One more thing to add.. I use an epson R340, so the HP paper works great with my epson. I have not had good luck with Epson paper for the applications we use it for.

The HP Everyday Photo Paper to me is very similar to the paper in blockbuster DVD cases. Feels the same, looks the same, weighs the same. I'm sure they are not the exact same, but to me it's very close.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Peter

I used to fold the paper also for the spline, but there really is no need, just insert the cover in flat and when you close the DVD case, it does the folding for you.

Cheers
Darren
Darren Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Trustee

I use these: Merit-Line | Glossy Insert for DVD Case - 50 Sheets | 161005

It's glossy and perforated the size of the case. The edges break of very cleanly. It can also be trimmed for the thinner cases, but no perf for that.

I can insert them into the case within a few minutes of them coming out of the printer and for over 100 cases I've never had one stick. This is all done with an Epson RX595.

I don't know what 50 pieces of photo paper cost, but I don't think these are much more expensive, if at all. It's definitely worth it for time saving it provides.

I use the Memorex Xpress It software (free) for printing. The graphics are created in Photoshop and the resulting TIFF file is dropped into Xpress It. Align it with the guides for the spine and edges and it's perfectly placed every time.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
I use these: Merit-Line | Glossy Insert for DVD Case - 50 Sheets | 161005

It's glossy and perforated the size of the case. The edges break of very cleanly. It can also be trimmed for the thinner cases, but no perf for that.

I can insert them into the case within a few minutes of them coming out of the printer and for over 100 cases I've never had one stick. This is all done with an Epson RX595.

I don't know what 50 pieces of photo paper cost, but I don't think these are much more expensive, if at all. It's definitely worth it for time saving it provides.

I use the Memorex Xpress It software (free) for printing. The graphics are created in Photoshop and the resulting TIFF file is dropped into Xpress It. Align it with the guides for the spine and edges and it's perfectly placed every time.

I'll give these a try... It sounds like they work well and are priced very well. thanks for the info.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Trustee

Wow, those covers are almost as expensive as a DVD blank. I use 24# bond for my covers. I trim it with a paper cutter, but anything that's placed under the clear plastic takes on a glossy appearence, so I'm not sure a glossy paper is need. I'm going to go back and experiment with some glossy or semi-glossy stock.
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #11
Tourist

DVD paper

Just wondering if anyone using the Discus software for the Mac, I have had the most difficult time finding the right preset for a dvd cover. What do you guys use or have you designed a preset for it to share?
Gabriel Gordillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #12
Major Player

For you Mac guys:
I've been using Disc Cover 2 from Belight. This software has made creating the cover art and disc art a breeze. It will assist you in creating art for just about any type of media - even those disc "business cards" that I would never put in any of my players. I can print directly to my Primera publisher as a one-off or save the art as a pdf and use that to print the discs when doing a large order. Everything I used before was a pain in the butt.

Belight also has an App for business cards that I would never be without. Flawless alignment every time.

I just wish I could find a printer that I would be happy with - I've been through a bunch of them and they all have reliability issues. From clogging heads on this model to paper jams on that model, or lack of driver support for models they don't sell currently. I guess you just have to buy a new one every year or so...

And don't get me started on the price of ink!

Also you would think they would standardize the cartridges for their entire line so instead of selling 100 different cartridges they would use one for each color that would be used in all their printers. I bet the stores that have to stock them would love to have to only have stock 6 to 8 different cartridges per manufacturer. That would have to save a bundle on design, manufacturing, stocking and shipping costs.

Sorry for the rant but I get so P.O.'d with printers.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #13
Major Player

I use this product: Jewelboxing - Super Jewel Box Packaging System - CD and DVD Cases

The paper is thick and soft like cotton.
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Major Player

I use premium glossy with my Epson 1800-R, no drying times and no sticking.
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I use Canon High Resolution Paper HR-101N. It is easy to fold as it is 106g/m2 and 122 um thick. It's non glossy but it will give the same resault when it goes under the DVD plastic. I let it dry for about 10 min before putting it in the cover. I have tried an expensive thick high gloss paper and while it look better right from the printer than the thin non glossy paper there is no visible difference when it is under the plastic.
Asvaldur Kristjansson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques