Recent Event trailer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Hi Monday,

I only shot one debut for this year and It was not even my own, Photographer hired me. I find this year to be slow. I like shooting debuts coz you normally get 3 of the 8 Cotillion members as client after the shoot. Aside from that, the shoot starts at 4 pm and I find it stress free.

Hopefully next season will be better
Heres hoping it improves. Keep in touch Noel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gilford View Post
Good job with the glides. The only complaint I have is some of the short shots are too short (ie the crown and the shoe). they pop and they are gone. You need a few more frames for them. Good job editing the voiceovers to the video. I like how you don't use the whole scene but you do include the speaker at some point so we know who it is. I'll borrow this idea.

I've done one of these before and it was a lot more fun than a wedding. More relaxing. I'd love to do more of them.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Ken! Two of my favorite videographers Glen Elliott and Chris Watson both use heavy voice overs to move pieces along. They both show the individual that is talking at least once in the clip. Both are very good story tellers as well. I do agree with you that these quinceaneras are so much fun. So much more relaxing than weddings for me. You should try to get another and post a clip so I'm not the only one posting quinceanera videos ^_^

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Thanks Tim. I have a glidecam 2000 with a lot of weights on it :/ it gets tiring after 2hrs of just holding it.
Wow, I could not do that for 2 hrs with a glidecam (I have the 4000). That is why I slapped on two QR plate & receivers. One on the GC and one on the Beachtec mounted to my multirig. SO I unplug the LANC, the mic, the headphones, and then QR it over to the Glidecam and back when I am done. Still takes a minute or more to transition.

I liked the entire production. Great colors. I did feel that some of the other color tones were missing, but the shooting environment (gym lighting, etc) does not lend itself to a full rich pallet of colors. It seemed like greens were missing (either because no one was wearing that color or otherwise). Very good work in low light (dancing). What cams gave you that good low light?

I loved the very short shot of her face covered in icing. hehehe seems like there is a story behind that shot.

I've had a few price quote requests, and since the event is as complicated as a wedding, though actually requiring even more shooting, I have priced them the same. I have never received and followup communication, so I must assume I have too high of a price.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Wow, I could not do that for 2 hrs with a glidecam (I have the 4000). That is why I slapped on two QR plate & receivers. One on the GC and one on the Beachtec mounted to my multirig. SO I unplug the LANC, the mic, the headphones, and then QR it over to the Glidecam and back when I am done. Still takes a minute or more to transition.

I liked the entire production. Great colors. I did feel that some of the other color tones were missing, but the shooting environment (gym lighting, etc) does not lend itself to a full rich pallet of colors. It seemed like greens were missing (either because no one was wearing that color or otherwise). Very good work in low light (dancing). What cams gave you that good low light?

I loved the very short shot of her face covered in icing. hehehe seems like there is a story behind that shot.

I've had a few price quote requests, and since the event is as complicated as a wedding, though actually requiring even more shooting, I have priced them the same. I have never received and followup communication, so I must assume I have too high of a price.
Hey Jason,

I'm not using my glidecam for the entire 2 hours but I am holding it. It's specifically for the formal picture time which every quinceanera does around here. When at the house church reception it's either hand held, monopod, or tripod. Having a QR for those 3 devices is so relieving as you say, it makes for quick transitions. It was challenging shooting in that gym for the entire party. Especially when they shut off all the lights. It was pitch black in there. So my bag boy used the 50w light on the light stand for the dollar dance and I used the glidecam for that portion as those dances can get pretty funny. I'm shooting with the XHA1 and loving it most of the time. I do wish I had just one more stop of light which isn't there.

These events are fun to film and actually not as complicated as weddings. Your dealing with 1 family (though it's a teenager), and the girl gets all the attention. The only thing which I hate, but no way around this is being on the job 10-12hrs. Around here and I know of other areas you don't get these type of jobs being there for 8hrs or less, unless they have a short day which I have had some jobs like that. Those are the best ones. You're there for 4-8hrs and done. Typically it's not always the case. Not sure about your pricing at all but you'd be shock at how much they pay for video and photos for these gigs. You just got to get into the higher end market. If you start marketing to them you'll get some that will pay your asking price. Thanks for watching and commenting Jason.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques