Recent Event trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Recent Event trailer

Had fun filming this job. Lots of obstacles to overcome but what an experience to learn from and enjoy. The young girl enjoyed her day. If you have time, I would love to hear what you think. I use to post videos frequently but very few would comment. I'm giving it one more try.

Click Here

Thanks

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
I use to post videos frequently but very few would comment. I'm giving it one more try.
Hehe no kidding I am in the same boat.

For the video It flowed well and some great shots in there. I liked the idea for the beginning and the end with the sunset, would have been cool if the start was a time-lapse as well and the end time-lapse went all the way to dark.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Monday -
Looked good to me! I know there's a market out where I am for the Quincenera video concept, so particularly interested to see how you are doing it, I know I've seen you mention it several times, and I *think* I've looked at a couple of your videos - sort of one of those things that when it looks good, not much to comment on <wink>!

I guess it's a good thing to post something and it's solid enough there's not much too "critique" - I usually poke enough holes in my own work without assistance, but one of these days I'll get some stuff up!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Monday, your work always looks fabulous. This is no exception. What kind of steadycam do you have?
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

hey monday! i loved the shot where she shows her face outside the H2's window!

i would agree with peter about the time-lapse

nice flow, great work!
Raphael Jamil Pranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #6
Major Player

Very nice video! Nothing to add that hasn't already been said. I'm sure the lucky girl is going to love this. :)

I assume you're using the A1 for this? What preset?

Thanks for sharing!
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Isa nice work - not many nits to pick with this. I thought the exposure was a bit low on a couple shots. Lots of vibrant colors to work with. I'll bet the girl felt like a bride - in pink!

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey Monday,

Love the glidecam shots, it was tastefully done (not too many). I know there's a market here in Toronto for quinceneras, very similar to debuts (18th Birthday). If I land one, I'll ask you for advice.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Szilveszter View Post
Hehe no kidding I am in the same boat.

For the video It flowed well and some great shots in there. I liked the idea for the beginning and the end with the sunset, would have been cool if the start was a time-lapse as well and the end time-lapse went all the way to dark.
Hey Peter,
Thanks for watching and commenting. Great suggestion on the timelapse for the beginning. I didn't like the idea at all but now hearing your suggestion I can see how it would actually work. I'm going to go change it. Thanks! Also thanks for the new sig quote ^_^

Monday
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Monday -
Looked good to me! I know there's a market out where I am for the Quincenera video concept, so particularly interested to see how you are doing it, I know I've seen you mention it several times, and I *think* I've looked at a couple of your videos - sort of one of those things that when it looks good, not much to comment on <wink>!

I guess it's a good thing to post something and it's solid enough there's not much too "critique" - I usually poke enough holes in my own work without assistance, but one of these days I'll get some stuff up!
Thanks Dave. I agree when something is solid not much comments are made. But I had one thread that had no life what so ever. That made me very sad (typing in a joking way). It's just encouraging to know when someone posts even a thanks for sharing comment. Then it feels like you added to the community. Hopefully you get what I'm saying. Thanks again

Monday
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Harjo View Post
Monday, your work always looks fabulous. This is no exception. What kind of steadycam do you have?
Thanks Tim. I have a glidecam 2000 with a lot of weights on it :/ it gets tiring after 2hrs of just holding it.
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael Jamil Pranga View Post
hey monday! i loved the shot where she shows her face outside the H2's window!

i would agree with peter about the time-lapse

nice flow, great work!
Hey Raphael! Thanks for commenting. I agree with the time-lapse as well. I think it well add to the piece. Thanks again

Monday
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
Very nice video! Nothing to add that hasn't already been said. I'm sure the lucky girl is going to love this. :)

I assume you're using the A1 for this? What preset?

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Randy! I'm using the A1 and a tweaked Reality preset. I call it Quince ^_^ I don't remember what I did differently to it but the blacks aren't crushed as much as the preset that was posted on the Canon A1 part of the forum. I don't remember who posted it but I'm thankful they posted it to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
Hey Isa nice work - not many nits to pick with this. I thought the exposure was a bit low on a couple shots. Lots of vibrant colors to work with. I'll bet the girl felt like a bride - in pink!

Art
Thanks Art! The exposure could've been low as the dreaded Canon A1 LCD gets washed out in the sun which wasn't in our favor at all that day. I'll have to correct that in the main edit. These Quinceanera's get mistaken for brides numerous times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Hey Monday,

Love the glidecam shots, it was tastefully done (not too many). I know there's a market here in Toronto for quinceneras, very similar to debuts (18th Birthday). If I land one, I'll ask you for advice.
Hey Noel,
We did talk about the debuts in your area. If you ever land a quince feel free to drop an email. As long as you can be cool with the teenagers they will love being around you. Have you booked up debuts for next year? Did it slow down at all?
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Monday,

I only shot one debut for this year and It was not even my own, Photographer hired me. I find this year to be slow. I like shooting debuts coz you normally get 3 of the 8 Cotillion members as client after the shoot. Aside from that, the shoot starts at 4 pm and I find it stress free.

Hopefully next season will be better
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Good Job Monday

Good job with the glides. The only complaint I have is some of the short shots are too short (ie the crown and the shoe). they pop and they are gone. You need a few more frames for them. Good job editing the voiceovers to the video. I like how you don't use the whole scene but you do include the speaker at some point so we know who it is. I'll borrow this idea.

I've done one of these before and it was a lot more fun than a wedding. More relaxing. I'd love to do more of them.

Thanks for sharing!
Ken Gilford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques