DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Web Sites? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/139196-web-sites.html)

Marion Abrams December 8th, 2008 05:25 PM

Web Sites?

I know many photographers use BluDomain, is there anything similar that has prebuilt templates for video companies?

Do you design your own sites? Hire a designer? Use another template based system?

Thanks,

Marion

Jason Robinson December 9th, 2008 01:42 AM

I don't design my own, but part of my business is implementing open source CMS packages for clients, so that is what I use for mine. No CSS skills needed. I may eventually buy a template for my CMS so that I can get rid of the "designed by" references. But the CMS model is insanely flexible (though it lacks ALL of the flashy artistic flair of StillMotion or even some of the other companies here in my city).

Josh Chesarek December 9th, 2008 05:59 AM

I use Wordpress and its template system @ Simple Thought Productions

I have been trying to get better at template coding by modifying the theme I use and hope to eventually write my own. If you are good at the graphics side and CSS you can make a wordpress (and most other blogs/cms) look like anything you want. When talking to theme authors the most common thing I realize is that most people do want their blog to look like a blog so they stick to the same overall formula. Or you can always commision a custom theme for exactly what you want :)

Art Varga December 9th, 2008 07:27 AM

I use Wordpress via my Yahoo web hosting package. I built 90% on my on with limited skills then hired a Wordpress expert I found on Craigslist to do the fine tuning.

Art

vargaproductions.com

Peter Dunphy December 9th, 2008 08:23 AM

I've just taught myself Dreamweaver and CSS style sheets (basics) to build my own website. It's quite satisfying doing it on your own but, unless you're a really quick learner, it might take you a few weeks to get the hang of. That's how long it has taken me anyway. If you wish to learn Dreamweaver, I highly suggest the tutorials at lynda.com.

Richard Wakefield December 9th, 2008 08:35 AM

Like Peter, I decided one day that I would put the time in myself and design my own website using Dreamweaver. Cheaper than getting a web designer in, and def. feels more satisfying than relying on a template

plus i can adapt the header graphic now it's xmas: FX Films - Professional Wedding & Corporate Videos (Surrey, Hampshire, Middlesex, London) :)

John Moon December 9th, 2008 12:24 PM

You might take a look at this: Showit Sites - Powerfully Simple Website Creation Photographer David Jay develped this.

Jason Robinson December 10th, 2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Moon (Post 975295)
You might take a look at this: Showit Sites - Powerfully Simple Website Creation Photographer David Jay develped this.

Ouch. $25 / month? I'll get you a site and hosting on my server for 1/2 that (of course it wouldn't be a fancy flash site).

Miraj A. Berry December 10th, 2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield (Post 975159)
Like Peter, I decided one day that I would put the time in myself and design my own website using Dreamweaver. Cheaper than getting a web designer in, and def. feels more satisfying than relying on a template

plus i can adapt the header graphic now it's xmas: FX Films - Professional Wedding & Corporate Videos (Surrey, Hampshire, Middlesex, London) :)

We did the same thing, + "Dreamweaver for Dummies."

I LOVE the frost and the Santa hat, though! Very cute! I wish I possessed your mad skillz ;)

Brian Mercer December 10th, 2008 07:58 PM

Marion,

We adapted a BluDomain site for the videography business. We asked a good photography friend for some great pics and purchased the add-on video portion for the site.

Its worked flawlessly for us.

Curtis Edwards December 10th, 2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marion Abrams (Post 974868)
I know many photographers use BluDomain, is there anything similar that has prebuilt templates for video companies?

Do you design your own sites? Hire a designer? Use another template based system?

Thanks,

Marion

I know a lot of photographers use this site and I understand they now do video, beyond that I haven't checked it out.

SmugMug Photo Sharing. Your photos look better here.