DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Vimeo sizing issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/139240-vimeo-sizing-issue.html)

Vince Baker December 9th, 2008 09:44 AM

Vimeo sizing issue

hi all,

I am keen to start using vimeo for some demo films that I want to put up rather than using my own website and wmv files as I currently do.

I know there are many that prefer hosting their own films but I do like the vimeo quality aspect (and the use of their bandwidth....not mine...)

I have rendered a film as .avi and .mpg2 and each time i try to upload to vimeo it resizes the movie to 4:3 rather than the 16:9 that I have started with...

I have read all through their guides but I cannot see where I am going wrong..

Anyone got any tips/simple guide to how you do it?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Hardwick December 9th, 2008 09:51 AM

Same with me Vince, so I moved to another site, viddler.com

Richard Wakefield December 9th, 2008 10:15 AM

never had a problem myself: u def. are editing in HD right? what NLEs are you using...if it's PPro, i just used the guidelines on vimeo, as i'm sure you are...

u could try exposureroom too if the problem still persists (haha, i sound like a doctor!)

Vince Baker December 9th, 2008 10:23 AM

have tried in both HD and SD, but spent more time playing in SD....

Using Vegas Pro for render, but using usual render settings that I use when outputing ready for DVD etc.

Perrone Ford December 9th, 2008 10:28 AM

Two questions

1. What is the final video size you are rendering to?
2. How many times have you tried the upload? Vimeo only allows 1 HD upload per week unless you have a plus account.

I have never had any issue getting my footage into 16:9. I upload 1280x720p files to Vimeo several times a month. I also q

Perrone Ford December 9th, 2008 10:31 AM

Two questions

1. What is the final video size you are rendering to?
2. How many times have you tried the upload? Vimeo only allows 1 HD upload per week unless you have a plus account.

I have never had any issue getting my footage into 16:9. I upload 1280x720p files to Vimeo several times a month. I also question why you are rendering to AVI or MPG2, when mpeg4 would certainly give superior results with much smaller files.

Tripp Woelfel December 9th, 2008 06:38 PM

Gotta render with square pixels. Your resolution should be 1280x720 with a PAR of 1:1. Vimeo has no idea what you set your PAR to in your NLE or transcoding engine.

16x9 video in both HD and SD will maintain if you render with a 1:1 PAR.

There's a whole description of the right settings in one of the Vimeo help files or FAQs. I don't have a link because I haven't been there in a long time.

Jason Robinson December 12th, 2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 975484)
Gotta render with square pixels. Your resolution should be 1280x720 with a PAR of 1:1. Vimeo has no idea what you set your PAR to in your NLE or transcoding engine.

16x9 video in both HD and SD will maintain if you render with a 1:1 PAR.

There's a whole description of the right settings in one of the Vimeo help files or FAQs. I don't have a link because I haven't been there in a long time.

I render my SD footage as 586x320 for faked widescreen small files and as 876x480 for SD footage at full res. then upload that. Seems to work.