Is this a good tripod setup? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is this a good tripod setup?

I was on the B&H website scoping out new equipment. Just need some feedback from some of you guys. Bogen / Manfrotto | BO525MVB503K Video Tripod | 503HDV,525PKIT
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Not a fan of the 503HDV. I have it and it is a step up from my previous one, but there are much better ones out there. The sticks are nice.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Major Player

If you're serious about dropping upwards of a grand on a tripod, I would strongly suggest looking at Vinten or Cartoni, or even Libec. Also, depending on the weight of your camera, you can find some Miller or even Sachtler systems for around that price-- give or take a hundred bucks.
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Major Player

This one Libec | LS38 Tripod System- Supports 17.6 lb (8 kg) | LS382A will preform as good or better for $300 less.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I can attest that the Libec is much better.

T
Tim Gilbertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #6
Trustee

I'll chime in with good words for the Cartoni. I upgraded from a $400 Libec and I was over the moon. Pans and tilts smoother than I ever could have done before. Great balancing. Very flexible.

Spend the money now and it will last you until you are old and it will make you a better shooter. My Focus cost about US$1,600. I was seriously tempted by the Vinten but my New England frugality (some would say cheapness) wouldn't let me part with those extra hundred dollar bills.

There's also a higher end Libec that's gotten some good reviews. Search the "Support your camera" list and you'll find some of them in there.

Good sticks are like speed (velocity, not the drug). Like they say in racing, "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques