DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Finally!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/139469-finally.html)

Tom Sessions December 12th, 2008 12:21 AM

Finally!!!

I have a wedding in January where the photog is a rookie. I have the perfect opportunity to break this one in to be courtious and thoughtful to the video guy.

BTW, the bride values video more than photo and doesn't want a lot of "flash" in her video's. I can't expect the bride to relay that sentiment to the photog. I have been burned before, so I may need to carry the torch on that one myself.

Any ideas where to begin and the best approach? Some of you out there are photogs so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Blackhurst December 12th, 2008 02:58 AM

Generally I hate to have too much flash during the ceremony, except those unavoidable "moments" where everyone with a pocket digi-cam is probably taking a bad, too dark photo... hopefuly the photog has a better flash and won't go overboard with it. Ask him to turn off redeye reduction... minor thing, but helps reduce problems.

I think the most important thing is to walk through your "marks" where you know you will be at specific points (and you know the photog will probably want to be as well). Try to work as a "team" and not block each others shots or positions.

Beyond that, not a lot to add - I've been lucky to work with good easygoing photographers (usually my wife is shooting stills, but sometimes we have a "primary" or secondary shooter as well) and every time we seem to get compliments at how great the "team" covering the wedding was - I take that as a good sign. It's always nice when the officiant or other vendors notice how smooth everything went with the "media coverage" - makes me wonder how many times "papparazzi" style shoots ruined other events... I guess it happens?

Noel Lising December 12th, 2008 08:32 AM

Hi Tom,

Please be nice with the rookie =).

I have the luxury of working with photogs I know and we kind of give way and set our boundaries.

I have worked with grumpy old school photogs in the past but a nice compliment like " you're one of the best photog I have seen" or " you've been doing this for 15 years??? you must be a master" and the one thing they always like to hear " this couple are smart enough to hire you and not go with Craiglist photographers". They'll be making sure you get your creme brulle during dinner when your video taping.

Josh Laronge December 12th, 2008 08:52 AM

Like Noel said, be nice. Beyond that, go out of your way to be helpful and cooperative. Be a mentor about wedding etiquette, etc.. You might even share things you've seen other photogs do that you like.

As far as the flash, mention it to the photog carefully as you don't want it to backfire on you. If the photog is a true rookie, the mention of cutting back on the flash may be something that flusters or confuses. The last thing you want to have happen is the photog to go to the bride and say, "the video guy said I can't use flash because you don't want it in the video. But, if I don't use flash the pictures won't come out." Might sound a little out there but, a rookie move would be to involve the bride in technical issues between a photographer and videographer and that makes both parties look bad.

Dave Blackhurst December 12th, 2008 03:49 PM

I'd NEVER say don't use flash - turning off redeye reduction that's typically turned ON as a default IS helpful. And the photog is going to NEED flash for fill if nothing else.

Flash is a part of the event, so you have to expect it to some degree - it adds to the ambience of the moment, and a photographer with a proper flash rig (bracket or swivel system, diffuser/bouncer) is not going to be a problem. A "novice" may not have sussed out that part of the rig... if they haven't, so be it.

To put it bluntly, the flash rigging and use typically will separate the "novice" from the "pro". It's the same as lighting for us video guys. Since I am in charge of the "tech" side of things, I have spend a fair amount of time and effort to get the kinks out of that issue on both the still and video rigs...

For the reception, I typically help the photog by using my video light to cut through the darkness - otherwise the photog might not even be able to see to frame some times!