DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Power Lunch (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/139595-power-lunch.html)

Tom Sessions December 14th, 2008 01:11 AM

Power Lunch

If you had a chance to have lunch with a couple of power players in the wedding video industry, what questions would you like to ask and hopefully get answers too?

They are on the higher end of the spectrum...a place where I would like to be some day.

This is my current delimma and on very short notice.

Jeff Harper December 14th, 2008 01:50 AM

One approach might be to simply be with them and enjoy their company. Observe their attitudes and silently observe, making small talk. Then let things go where they may. They will likely ask you questions, if they are not completely pre-occupied with themselves, so some self-reflection on your part might be in order in the days prior to the lunch.

They are likely bombarded with questions by every "lower" level videographer they meet. They will likely open up naturally if you let the time pass in a more "in the moment" manner than going in with an obvious agenda.

If you haven't, you might find some really outstanding work on the web by some other high-end videographers and then ask them non-chalantly what they think of that style, that videographer, so on and so forth, stirring up a more interesting vein of discussion than just keeping it on them or yourself.

Bottom line, try concentrating on what you can bring to the table, rather than just what you want. By doing the opposite of what most of us would you might come away with more than the "logical" approach would yield.

Warren Kawamoto December 14th, 2008 05:59 AM

Ask them "Is it my imagination that all wedding videos around the world are beginning to look the same?" Tell them that it seems like everyone is using Steadicam, everyone is trying to color grade every shot, and everyone is editing their fast song weddings out of sequence, with black and white shots thrown in at random.

Their opinions about this should be a very interesting.

Jason Robinson December 15th, 2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Sessions (Post 977789)
If you had a chance to have lunch with a couple of power players in the wedding video industry, what questions would you like to ask and hopefully get answers too?

They are on the higher end of the spectrum...a place where I would like to be some day.

This is my current delimma and on very short notice.

I would have very few questions about the technical aspects of weddings, and almost all my questions would be about the business end of things. How to get those higher end brides (especially when everyone is cutting out the video budget now days).

So I would want to know how to build the solid business. I know the technical parts I need to work on, but the business parts are (I think) far more crucial to success.

Marion Abrams December 16th, 2008 09:21 AM

I just read a wedding advice article that suggested saving money by skipping the video, wedding videos, the article said, are passe.

I would be interested to hear their opinion on a remark like that. I am hearing from many photographers and venues that fewer people are having videos done.

Certainly a good conversation starter about the state of the business.

Marion
www.tweedrivervideo.com

Jason Robinson December 16th, 2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marion Abrams (Post 979064)
I just read a wedding advice article that suggested saving money by skipping the video, wedding videos, the article said, are passe.

(tongue in cheek) Hi I'm here from the internet to start a flame war....(/tongue in cheek)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marion Abrams (Post 979064)
I would be interested to hear their opinion on a remark like that. I am hearing from many photographers and venues that fewer people are having videos done.
Certainly a good conversation starter about the state of the business.
Marion
Tweed River Video

I would also love to hear from the trend setters in the industry about their thoughts on that subject.... but frankly, the trend setters are not quite as involved in the "average" videography business ins and outs precisely because they are above average. They are trend setters because they are not average. That means they probably aren't going to be experiencing the same kind of crunch that the average videography businesses are. Heck, I've got NO (as in zero "0") future bookings. The market dried up and blew away in my city. I'm even questioning steps I have been taking to try to do a wedding show in a few weeks.

Dave Blackhurst December 16th, 2008 12:49 PM

Wedding video is dead... long live wedding video!!!

Bottom line is that the economy has taken a giant leap into the crapper, worldwide. People worrying about being able to eat or keep the heat on aren't particulary worried about "fond memories" - of anything...

That said, after the holidays (presuming we all survive them, and most likely we will...) things may start to turn around a bit, as things can't just stand still forever. Then it's up to the buisiness person to find a model that works in our "new" new economy...

My suggestions are to over deliver on quality, be prepared to adjust pricing so as to be able to work enough to pay the bills for a while (all ego aside, working and making something is better than not working at all), be looking for other opportunities to use your gear so you can put in more paid hours, and realize that there's likely to be a LOT of belt tightening.

OK, enough gloomy. A smart bride will know video has a lot of value - I've talked to many couples that watch their video more than they look at their photos - the value is there for those who see it. Provide something that people WANT to watch, and they will still ask for it. Provide drek, plan on a career with Wal-mart.

The challenge is to stay creative and up in a bleak economy, but it beats the alternative!