"Dream in Color" Color Grading DVD Tutorial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 21st, 2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Inner Circle

"Dream in Color" Color Grading DVD Tutorial

I know a lot of you (myself included) have been trying really hard to figure out how to effectively color grade. I recently bought the "Dream in Color" DVD tutorial and watched it several times, and put it into action recently on the wedding trailer I posted a few weeks ago.

Anyways, I've learned everything on the DVD and I'm selling it now. I listed it in the private classifieds section, but since I know most of us probably don't check there very often, I thought I'd post a note about it here for anyone interested. The DVD retails for $100 and I'm selling it for $75.
Old December 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Travis, what did you think of the DVD? It didn't get rave reviews in EventDV.
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It's great for anyone just getting started in color correction/grading.

For more advanced users, it's alright. I would have loved more info on color theory and how it applies to using filters, but Joshua shows you exactly how he uses his filters, which is probably more valuable than listening to color theory alone. I'm not a beginner, and the DVD definitely helped me get a better look nailed down.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Still Motion

Blake- I was wondering the same thing. The reviews in EventDV made it sound as appealing as watching the DVD tutorials that come with FCP.

Travis- I would think color theory would absolutely be the most important thing. How are you to be able to distinguish your own look and style, create something that evolves, and really know what it is your doing and how you go about getting that without thoroughly understanding what your applying to a clip. Even in posting a sample, would you not feel much more proud had it been something you created through a mix of several filters in a way that you envisioned when you started?

I ask as we are working on our training DVDs and we always run into the dilemma of actually educating vs just giving the old copy and paste route. It seems like the latter would sell better, but I think we really only identify with the first.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Patrick, I think that the most effective tutorial would be one that provides walk-through examples as well as color theory and how that applies to filters. The trouble for me is that I searched and searched and couldn't find a tutorial that did both. This was the next best thing.

I now have a starting point for how to adjust the grading of my videos, but it's going to take a lot of trial and error to find the look that "I" like, and that fits my style. That is my one real gripe with this DVD, that it doesn't give me the information on HOW the filters work, so I'm left figuring it out on my own. But like I said, I'm much closer to having a color grading solution than I was before I watched the DVD.

I'd like to add that I've sold the DVD.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
I ask as we are working on our training DVDs and we always run into the dilemma of actually educating vs just giving the old copy and paste route. It seems like the latter would sell better, but I think we really only identify with the first.

P.
Patrick, I agree that the copy/paste DVD would sell better but I think people who are willing to pay for your DVD (like me!) want to be educated as well. I second Travis that a hybrid guide combining technical skills, color theory and guidance would be most valuable.

I have no problem spending $2,500 on workshops hosted by industry leaders but really hate being nickeled and dimed on dvds/books that are essentially "how-to" tutorials. Unfortunately, these items are the "next best thing" (as Travis said).

I want to create my own look and style but need some direction as to why you guys shoot and edit the way you do. The "how you do it" question is secondary.
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Although it is nice have a unique look and style associated with your studio (which helps promoting your brand), I think the best practice would be to have the ability to give a unique and suitable look for each and every clip we work on. Just like we select a certain type of music for highlights or any other clips based on the mood and the story we want to tell/portray, the "look" (color grading) for each piece should also be dictated by the mood of the event. In order to do that we should learn the fundamental knowledge of color grading so that we gain the ability to generate any "look" we wish just like any other good video/film colorist.

I, myself also own a Dream in Color DVD. Although Joshua gets into a great amount of detail in how 'he' color grades his videos, it misses to educate the viewer on the fundamentals of color grading.

I'm yet to run a cross a training material that teaches this in an effective way. May be Patrick and rest of the folks at SM will come up with something good.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:05 PM   #8
Major Player

Crap. I was interested in that DVD! Early bird gets the worm!
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Cavett View Post
Crap. I was interested in that DVD! Early bird gets the worm!
mine could be going on the market if you are interested Blake :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques