DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Hows the wedding industry going (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/140141-hows-wedding-industry-going.html)

Robert Bec December 22nd, 2008 02:25 PM

Hows the wedding industry going

Hey guys

I am sure we have all been effected buy the economy turn a rounds not just in America but here in Australia Sydney on average videographers, photographers etc have noticed a 30% drop in bookings

Internet inquiries are down 26% for myself thank god for referrals.

How is it going for everyone else have you noticed any falls

Rob.

Jason Robinson December 22nd, 2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bec (Post 982430)
Hey guys

I am sure we have all been effected buy the economy turn a rounds not just in America but here in Australia Sydney on average videographers, photographers etc have noticed a 30% drop in bookings

Internet inquiries are down 26% for myself thank god for referrals.

How is it going for everyone else have you noticed any falls

Rob.

Well if by "economy turn around" you mean I have 0 future bookings at this point in time, then yes, things dried up and blew away. I am actually in the middle of a last ditch effort to get clients. Purchasing ads in traditional places that I have never tried (preferring to instead remain with an online ad campaign till this point). I'll know in about 3 weeks if my marketing efforts mean I get to stay fully self employed, or if I need to jump back into the soul stealing tech industry working for someone else.

Alex Sprinkle December 22nd, 2008 09:19 PM

So is it a bad idea to be trying to start out right now? I figured that weddings will ALWAYS happen, as people always want to get hitched. The wedding industry, much like hospitals and morgues, should always be in business.

Tim Gilbertson December 22nd, 2008 09:25 PM

Things are still chugging along here. Canada won't be as affected as the U.S., and Alberta even less even though it's based on oil. All the planners I've talked to haven't seen a drop off at all, and I'm booking up steadily.

T

Jason Robinson December 22nd, 2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle (Post 982653)
So is it a bad idea to be trying to start out right now? I figured that weddings will ALWAYS happen, as people always want to get hitched. The wedding industry, much like hospitals and morgues, should always be in business.

The wedding industry is always going to exist (I think) but it is highly subject to fads. Chocolate fountains may be in, then out. Dove releases may be in, then out. Fancy cinematic videos may be in, then out. Just my opinion of course.

Travis Cossel December 22nd, 2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle (Post 982653)

You are correct that there will always be weddings, but budgets can easily go up or down. Photography is pretty much a "must have" for any couple, so I doubt most photographers will see a huge impact when the economy dips. They may book lower packages, but they will still book a photographer.

Videography is in another world, though. Around here, the average couple doesn't even look for a videographer when they are planning, so with a tighter budget you can bet that most of them won't end up springing for a videographer. Then you have that small percentage of couples that DO look for a videographer, but the vast majority of them are looking for something really cheap, so again a tighter budget might mean a videography cut.

I might sound all "doom and gloom", but I'm not. I still plan on doing well this year, but that's largely based on faith at the moment. It's still a bit early to say how the market is doing here, since most brides here start planning with 6 months or less to go. Ask me again in another two months and I'll be able to tell you how things are going.

Jeff Harper December 23rd, 2008 03:44 AM

In Cincinnati, I'm booking up. June is close to full for me including Fridays. I am also filling up for October My February-April is not so good, but that is because I quit advertising on the Knot.

Ethan Cooper December 23rd, 2008 04:35 AM

Hurray for South Louisiana's oil driven economy. We're not feeling much down this way since that industry is still chugging right along.

Noel Lising December 23rd, 2008 08:21 AM

It has been a slow 2008 for me, I only have 3 bookings for next year ( 1 wedding & 2 Birthdays), normally I should have 10 by now.

Patrick Moreau December 23rd, 2008 09:09 AM

Perhaps it is because of how diverse our market it, and perhaps it is related to the specific demographic that we generally work with, but things on our end seem to be going up. We did notice however, things like after sales in photo and last minute upgrades seem to be more restrained.

I think Travis' initial post really holds the key. Some things in weddings are must haves and others certainly may be skimped on or skipped. The challenge then is to forget about the paradigm related to the value of wedding videos (we must forget that first of all if we want brides to as well) and make a product that is a 'must have'.

P.

Noel Lising December 23rd, 2008 09:20 AM

Still Motion

...... and part of my slow period could be attributed to being on the same page with Still Motion at one of my web advertisement j/k

Robert Bec December 24th, 2008 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 982439)
Well if by "economy turn around" you mean I have 0 future bookings at this point in time, then yes, things dried up and blew away. I am actually in the middle of a last ditch effort to get clients. Purchasing ads in traditional places that I have never tried (preferring to instead remain with an online ad campaign till this point). I'll know in about 3 weeks if my marketing efforts mean I get to stay fully self employed, or if I need to jump back into the soul stealing tech industry working for someone else.

Make sure you touch base in 3 weeks time to lets us know that your still fully self employed Jason

Robert Bec December 24th, 2008 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 982767)
I quit advertising on the Knot.

I don't understand your phrase please explain I'm from down under

Robert Bec December 24th, 2008 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 982829)
It has been a slow 2008 for me, I only have 3 bookings for next year ( 1 wedding & 2 Birthdays), normally I should have 10 by now.

Noel do you advertise at all i really think you need to spend money on magazines, wedding internet directories, etc.

Do you have a full time job?

Robert Bec December 24th, 2008 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 982846)
and make a product that is a 'must have'.

P.

Patrick do you mostly get couples booking you for both video/photo (package Deal) or do you get couples wanting one or the other.