Marketing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Marketing

How do YOU do it? What sites are you on? Which ones aren't worth it? How many bridal shows do you go to (or have a booth set up)? And so on... I'm just getting started, but I need to know how the experienced ones do it.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Alex,

I advertise on the Bridal Network (pay for click), Google Ads and 2 local Filipino newspapers. I have a developed a partnership with a Flower Shop, they let me put my business cards in their shop ( they suggested leaving an Album as well so they can show it to clients). I also work with a photog who asks me to shoot videos for him.

I find the newspaper & the Flowershop generates more business for me than the Bridal Network. I also scan Craiglist for potential Brides.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Major Player

re

it might be slightly different for me living on an island but i started marketing last week. Im going round all the cake shops, hair dressers , beauty places, dress shops and so on and so on, ask them if i can display my business cards and also an A6 perspex display with a larger version of my business card in it to catch the eye. So far none have said no, i have 50 shops that i want to go to.
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Major Player

How do you approach flower shops, cake shops, and the like? I'd imagine it's a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" type of deal. What do you offer them?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Major Player

1 & 2) I partnered up with my fiancee, who is a great sales person and we do bridal shows together. She has a glowing personality, and is super friendly, and can easily talk to anyone. That's not me, I struggle selling myself at bridal shows. She does 75% of the talking, and I handle all the technical questions. We've done 2 shows so far, each show costs 300-400 dollars, and we've booked 7 weddings from them, and still 6 more who are dragging their feet on signing.

I guess what I'm saying is, if your like me, find a friend/family member who doesn't mind being your spokesperson on the weekend. Especially if your not a people-person like me. And then do bridal shows.

3) Make a nice, readable website that gives out ton of information...and makes it easy for a bride to contact you for more information or booking a wedding.

4) Get yourself on Google, yahoo, and google local business.

5) Hand out your card to every photographer, dj, cake designer, wedding planner, etc. you see and work with.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Major Player

re

basically i say ' hello, im launching a new business doing wedding cinematography and i was wondering if there was any chance that i could display my cards and small display unit ( but i show them and dont say that) , i say i have heard that many brides peruse your shop and basically big them up, flirt with them and so on, if there woman. A gay gentleman in a hair salon actually took down some heated curlers that were on display and put my cards up and perspex thing i have.

If they say no thats cool, and i mention that or if i see they have no room on their counter to display, but most will ahppily take your cards

the 7 hair salons i went to all said ok and i passed the other day and all had my displays on the counter

free advertising u cannont beat
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Major Player

re

i dont offer them anything
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques