Revisions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Revisions

We've been noticing a time-killer in our workflow is revisions. Typically I render and burn the rough draft of a project and my wife reviews it for quality control. I then make the changes, render and burn a second DVD. The first render/burn process seems unneccissary, but it's the only way she can watch it on tv and not tie up our main computer.

The second time-killer is that couples often want one or two changes, such as more dancing. Making these changes is more of a pain, as I'm in the middle of something else w/ a deadline. If the render process wasn't so long, I didn't have to burn and print a DVD, run to the Post Office, it would be no problem. Having clients preview it would give us the same dilema. What do you guys do?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Major Player

This is not what I do, but have you thought about setting up your TV as a monitor, then you can just play straight to the TV? That should eliminate 1 export/burn.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Trustee

Maybe it's just me but I hate burning DVD's. So I sure don't like to do it for drafts. I either put the video up on my site, or use a USB memory stick. You could put it up on Youtube in HD and set the privacy settings.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Don't do drafts. Edit it once - properly. Burn. In your contract you should state "artistic creation and editing is at the sole discretion of the producer. Aesthetic changes are possible but may incur additional studio editing fees."

Solved. :)
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by john knight View Post
don't do drafts. Edit it once - properly. Burn. In your contract you should state "artistic creation and editing is at the sole discretion of the producer. Aesthetic changes are possible but may incur additional studio editing fees."

solved. :)
qft!!!!!!!
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Don't do drafts. Edit it once - properly. Burn. In your contract you should state "artistic creation and editing is at the sole discretion of the producer. Aesthetic changes are possible but may incur additional studio editing fees."

Solved. :)

John said it right on. My studio charges $$$ per hour for any creative/stylistic changes....AND I rarely get any requests for them. Do it right the first time is the best insurance in preventing these requests.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Same here.
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The only time I give a draft and it would be a flash or mov on my server is for Text accuracy. When I do Lower Thirds for processionals I want to make sure it's error free, so I export only this portion for the newlyweds to view/QA.

The last one I did, sure enough the text was fine fine, but the brides maids and grooms men entered out of order of the written program.
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #9
Major Player

Never do a draft, never will! My contract has the same words as John Knights. Not one come back to date.

If I did make a mistake, (Typing, obvious flaw in DVD)of course I would be happy to rectify the situation, but I would never encourage the couple,or suggest to them they are able to make changes at a whim. Asking for trouble in my opinion. The next thing they will do is sit in with you on the edit telling you how they want it!

Can you imagine what the finished product could end up looking like!!!

All artistic creation within the edit is left at my discretion. They see my sample and they either book me, or not, based on the quality in front of them and how I have handled the material.

Just my two pence worth
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Major Player

Same here. No changes to the video/DVD's except technical difficulties with playback. I have my wife watch the DVD just to make sure there are no mistakes in edit. But the couple doesn't get to see anything.

I did once a "custom wedding" and I regret it till now. Learned a lesson - never let the customers suggest changes after the video is completed. In general I like to ask them before they sign the contract if there are any features they'd like me to put in their video (i.e. no pics, quick intro, B&W only highlights, etc). But I stick to my artistic style and don't change it - unless I want to.

Also as far as the deadline, and revisions. Dana, you should add to your contract that any revisions are postponing the due date and it's customers "fault", not yours.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques