DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Do you guys use printer to put images on the DVD's? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/141012-do-you-guys-use-printer-put-images-dvds.html)

Arif Syed January 6th, 2009 05:24 PM

Do you guys use printer to put images on the DVD's?

I am thinking about getting this printer to print on images for my final copies.

Photo Inkjet Printers - Photo Inkjet Printers - PIXMA Pro Professional Inkjet Printers - Photo Printer - PIXMA iP5200 - Canon USA Consumer Products

What do you guys use to make the product look presentable?

Dave Blackhurst January 6th, 2009 05:36 PM

The printer you linked to doesn't print ON a CD/DVD... that's the first trick, I use an HP, many others use Epson. Not sure if Canon even offers a printer with the special tray and print path needed?

I've tried the printable stick on labels, and while it's POSSIBLE to make them look good, it's a PITA to get them on the discs without wrinkles/bubbles and that presents potential problems galore, the least of which is aesthetic...

I've gone to printable discs and an HP printer (I think they offer two currently with the CD/DVD print feature), and that's the ONLY way to go if you want to deliver a professional looking result. I made up a template in my photo editor so I can make a custom full color label, which I then just drop into HP's printing program (their stock DVD printing features are horrid, to put it mildly... my workaround "fixes" the inherently limited software). The printed discs are available in white and silver (maybe other colors too?), and I've had good results printing either type. Finding printable discs can be a problem, not a typical "big box" store item... if you buy 100 spools, it's cheap enough that way.

Arif Syed January 6th, 2009 05:40 PM

YouTube - iP5200 disc printing

Isnt it printing directly on the disc?

Stephen J. Williams January 6th, 2009 07:00 PM

I use the Epson RX580... I'm totally happy with it. It was pretty cheap and does a good job for my standards at least. I usually only fill up half the DVD with the image and fade it out into the original color of the DVD (white). It uses less color this way and looks more professional and then on the blank side I place the text and logo.

Tripp Woelfel January 6th, 2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arif Syed (Post 990092)

I use an Epson RX595. While I didn't think any software could be as brain-dark than the Epson CD/DVD printing lump, it sounds like the HP software might just beat it.

The way I get around this shortcoming is to do all the graphics in Photoshop. I made a template there at about 5.5" @300dpi and kick everything in there. Once done, I save it as a .bmp and drag it into the Epson software as a background image. The only thing I'll add in the Epson software is the copyright notice and part number, which can be easily arced to anywhere from the hub to the outside edge.

Here's a cheap and cheezy one I did early on. I've gotten a lot better since then but I don't have access to it right now.

Tripp Woelfel January 6th, 2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arif Syed (Post 990092)

I use an Epson RX595. While I didn't think any software could be as brain-dark than the Epson CD/DVD printing lump, it sounds like the HP software might just beat it.

The way I get around this shortcoming is to do all the graphics in Photoshop. I made a template there at about 5.5" @300dpi and kick everything in there. Once done, I save it as a .bmp and drag it into the Epson software as a background image. The only thing I'll add in the Epson software is the copyright notice and part number, which can be easily arced to anywhere from the hub to the outside edge.

I'll try to upload an example later. The list currently refuses to let me upload my photo right now.

Blake Cavett January 6th, 2009 09:54 PM

I use the Bravo SE... does 20 at a time & I couldn't be happier with it.
Best thousand bucks I've spent.

Harry Settle January 6th, 2009 10:03 PM

Epson R-1800, print directly on printable discs. No problem getting quality results using the Epson software.

Kees van Duijvenbode January 7th, 2009 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 990134)
I use the Epson RX580... I'm totally happy with it. It was pretty cheap and does a good job for my standards at least. I usually only fill up half the DVD with the image and fade it out into the original color of the DVD (white). It uses less color this way and looks more professional and then on the blank side I place the text and logo.

Which software do you use to realise this? I also use the Epson RX580 and the software that came with it. But that has no options for realising what you describe.

Hubert Duijzer January 7th, 2009 03:49 AM

I use a Canon Pixma IP4500 wich does a really great job at dvd and photo (dvd-cover) printing.

Dave Blackhurst January 7th, 2009 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arif Syed (Post 990104)
YouTube - iP5200 disc printing

Isnt it printing directly on the disc?

Sure enough it is, special tray and print path and all... VERY strange the Canon site makes no mention whatsoever of the feature! Normally a manufacturer would make mention of such a handy and not necessarily "standard" capability! I didn't find anything on the page you linked... or I missed it? I even went back to the link again, and other than the one tab that doesn't load, can't find the mention of CD/DVD printing, the necessary tray in the "included" list, or anything else to indicate this rather cool feature is available... strange

Looks like others have to kludge their way into the good looking graphics too - it's pretty much like in that video, though I made up a template with the exact dimensions of the DVD so I can make sure all the graphics are where I want them, then import it into the HP software and print. The included software is just slightly better than a sharpie... but if you've got a halfway proficient photo editor, it's not that hard to make incredibly good looking discs!

Gareth Watkins January 7th, 2009 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubert Duijzer (Post 990375)
I use a Canon Pixma IP4500 wich does a really great job at dvd and photo (dvd-cover) printing.

I'll second the Canon.. excellent printer..

I had all sorts of problems with Epson, and their inexistant guarantee and crap after sales service.

cheers
Gareth

Stelios Christofides January 7th, 2009 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubert Duijzer (Post 990375)

I used to have an HP printer, but it gave me grey hair and I got myself a Canon IP4500 and never looked back. Excellent printer!

Stelios

Matt Bishop January 7th, 2009 06:27 AM

I'm currently using an Epson R380 and love it! Amazing prints and color for the price . I use watershield dvd's so I get a beautiful glossy finish. I also create all of my dvd prints in photoshop at a very high resolution prior to printing them but as far as the printer itself, I'm happy with it!

Matt

Luke Oliver January 7th, 2009 06:32 AM

re

can someone tell me who owns the cannon if the disc prints are likes ones u get form blockbuster????