DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Need some tips/reminders for a wedding in Malaysia (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/141395-need-some-tips-reminders-wedding-malaysia.html)

Jason Magbanua January 11th, 2009 11:38 PM

Need some tips/reminders for a wedding in Malaysia

We're pretty excited as we're shooting our first wedding in Malaysia this friday.

It seems the bulk of the activities would be in the 'torture' session.

I'm watching and soaking a lot in but I'd greatly appreciate any tips from those who are familiar.

Thanks!

Tom Sessions January 12th, 2009 01:28 AM

Jason,
All I can say is maybe watch some Bob Nicolas footage.

Anders Risvold January 12th, 2009 02:09 AM

Hehe, I have one good tip. Get time to WB all cams correclty before wedding :)

Besides that, I think there are loads of tips in older threads. Planning, monitor audio, keep extra tapes and batteries nearby, manual exposure (or locked down), be kind and always expect the unexpected.

I've only done a couple of weddings and a couple of other live events, but it seems that in these uncontrollable situations plans changes without anyone telling you.

Could be anything from the couple facing with back towards audience (when they stated they would turn towards eachother, kids wanting to try your camera, people trying to 'crouch down' under the lens (makes it look even more stupid) when passing in front people forgetting to take off the wireless. Most fun is listening to what the mic'ed persons says when they think noone is listening :D

I think that is the most important stuff. Be prepared for what you cannot be prepared for.

Jason Magbanua January 12th, 2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Sessions (Post 993466)
Jason,

Hey Tom.

Bob is a good friend and I watch his awesome stuff all the time. Can't recall though if he has shot in Malaysia.

Jason Magbanua January 12th, 2009 02:54 AM

Anders, thanks for the detailed response. But I may have to rephrase my question. It's my first shoot in Malaysia, which is not where I'm from. I was looking for tips culture specific to Malaysia.

=)

Jason Magbanua January 12th, 2009 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Sessions (Post 993466)
Jason,

Hey Tom.

Bob is a good friend and I watch his awesome stuff all the time. Can't recall though if he has shot in Malaysia.

Anders Risvold January 12th, 2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua (Post 993489)
Anders, thanks for the detailed response. But I may have to rephrase my question. It's my first shoot in Malaysia, which is not where I'm from. I was looking for tips culture specific to Malaysia.
=)

long night, very early :) Sorry. No idea about Malaysia. Bet it will be fun, though :D

Sean Seah January 12th, 2009 09:30 AM

U will need a good light. One chap inside and one chap outside of the gate. The torture session takes 30min to 1.5hrs depending. There will be a lot of prep work involved so someone has to cover that while the bride is making up.

After the groom enters it will be plain sailing. Just make sure the tea ceremony is covered (I assume they are following Chinese customs here)

Warren Kawamoto January 12th, 2009 02:40 PM

Jason,
There are many ethnicities in Malaysia. Chinese, Malay, Indian.... which one are you shooting? Each one does something different in their wedding day preparations.
How many in your crew and can you split up?

My wife and I are going to Malaysia this Saturday... but it's for relaxation and celebrating the Chinese New Year, not work:)

Travis Cossel January 12th, 2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders Risvold (Post 993480)
Hehe, I have one good tip. Get time to WB all cams correclty before wedding :)

Besides that, I think there are loads of tips in older threads. Planning, monitor audio, keep extra tapes and batteries nearby, manual exposure (or locked down), be kind and always expect the unexpected.

I've only done a couple of weddings and a couple of other live events, but it seems that in these uncontrollable situations plans changes without anyone telling you.

Could be anything from the couple facing with back towards audience (when they stated they would turn towards eachother, kids wanting to try your camera, people trying to 'crouch down' under the lens (makes it look even more stupid) when passing in front people forgetting to take off the wireless. Most fun is listening to what the mic'ed persons says when they think noone is listening :D

I think that is the most important stuff. Be prepared for what you cannot be prepared for.

No offense intended towards Anders, since this is great info. But it really made me laugh to see someone posting basic wedding advice for Jmag. Again, no offense toward you Anders, it just made me laugh. In fact, thanks, I needed that today!

Jason Magbanua January 13th, 2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 993622)
U will need a good light. One chap inside and one chap outside of the gate. The torture session takes 30min to 1.5hrs depending. There will be a lot of prep work involved so someone has to cover that while the bride is making up.

After the groom enters it will be plain sailing. Just make sure the tea ceremony is covered (I assume they are following Chinese customs here)

Thanks for the big help Sean!

Jason Magbanua January 13th, 2009 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 993792)
Jason,
There are many ethnicities in Malaysia. Chinese, Malay, Indian.... which one are you shooting? Each one does something different in their wedding day preparations.
How many in your crew and can you split up?

My wife and I are going to Malaysia this Saturday... but it's for relaxation and celebrating the Chinese New Year, not work:)

Hey Warren! I believe they are following chinese custom. Thanks!

Warren Kawamoto January 13th, 2009 01:41 PM

Jason,
Sean is correct about having one cameraman with the girls and one with the guys. Many things will happen behind closed doors at first so it's good to capture 2 points of view simultaneously, then edit them together to create the story.

The most important shots of the day are the Chinese tea ceremony. I would also use 2 cameras here, one shooting whoever is giving the tea, and those who are receiving it. The people giving/receiving here will all be immediate family so don't miss anyone. The bad thing about this is that there will be tons of people getting in the way, and it's probably going to be very warm and humid since this usually takes place inside the home.

If they do have a church wedding, it will probably be Catholic since there are many Chinese Catholics in Kuala Lumpur. This ceremony will be a breeze for you....

What else about Malaysia... DO NOT have any illegal drugs or firearms on you. The penalty is mandatory death! You'll see the notices when you arrive at the airport. I'm not kidding!

Noel Lising January 19th, 2009 01:10 PM

I just saw the SDE of this wedding Jmags. Great work.