DV Info Net

DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Engagement Shoot with 5D Mark II (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/141464-engagement-shoot-5d-mark-ii.html)

Matthew Ebenezer January 12th, 2009 11:04 PM

Engagement Shoot with 5D Mark II
 
There are a few examples on the net showcasing the awesome video potential of the Canon 5D Mark II.

Engaging Films - Engaging Films - a Fusion of Photography and Video - Available Worldwide
Fusion is Now - Fusion is Now - Solutions for Photographers

These examples are certainly impressive, thatís for sure. The issue that I have with them is that they seem to have been shot by a team of people, in a controlled environment with gorgeous models, over an extended period of time - i.e. 48 hours - and then edited using high end computers and software.

Now, thatís all well and good. But what about how it performs in the hands of a photographer on a real shoot with a real couple - shooting both stills and video at the same time - and then edited on a laptop using free software.

Check out our blog for the full post: Shadowplay Blog Shadowplay+James Day+5DMarkII

All the footage was filmed by a photographer 30 minutes after he pulled the camera out of the box. I edited the footage together using iMovie (for the first time) on my Macbook Pro.

The footage is good but not super amazing, although it is better than much of what we see in our industry. And of course the editing is top notch ;)

After sitting in the room as the couple watched this the day after the shoot, I'm convinced that as videographers, if we don't think that this camera (and future generations of it) will impact our industry ... we're kidding ourselves.

Here's the video:

Samuel and Olivia - eShoot - 5D Mark II - HD on Vimeo

Thoughts?

Matthew.

Tim Harjo January 12th, 2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer (Post 994062)
Here's the video:

Samuel and Olivia - eShoot - 5D Mark II - HD on Vimeo

Thoughts?

Wow! That's my thoughts. The images are spectacular. Did you do much color grading with imovie? because the color looks very impressive.

Travis Cossel January 12th, 2009 11:40 PM

The colors and clarity are nice, but the photographer was awfully shaky in quite a few shots that were "up close - wide end of the lens" type shots. I'm not saying he couldn't get better. Just an observation.

I still think that the impact of this technology on videography won't be as negative as many are thinking.

Joel Peregrine January 13th, 2009 12:14 AM

Hi Matthew,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer (Post 994062)
I'm convinced that as videographers, if we don't think that this camera (and future generations of it) will impact our industry ... we're kidding ourselves.

Thoughts?

This is the same doomsday talk that was going on amongst photographers when videographers started printing stills. I agree that this development will impact our industry, but only when the imaging technology becomes available in a true video camera, and in that respect its the photographers that are at risk of losing business, because its much easier for a videographer to pull stills than it is for a photographer to record video...

Matthew Ebenezer January 13th, 2009 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Harjo (Post 994070)
Wow! That's my thoughts. The images are spectacular. Did you do much color grading with imovie? because the color looks very impressive.

Hey Tim,

Not much colour work done really - iMovie doesn't offer much. I used mainly a combo of exposure, brightness, contrast and saturation. That's about all the options that iMovie has.

The colours from the 5D Mark II are pretty good right out of the camera so not much tweaking seemed to be required to get good results.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Sean Seah January 13th, 2009 07:39 AM

the colours pop. Really nice. Only prob is the jerkiness. How was it editing on the imovie? Tough?

Yang Wen January 13th, 2009 12:57 PM

Very nice... However, I do see strong black clipping in many shots. I assume you guys use the standard picture parameter?

Also for back lit scenes where we see the sun (such as sun in Vimeo's preview image for the video), I don't like the harsh clipping in the highlights. I'm more used to seeing a gradual ramp to white. How do you guys find the 5D2 when it comes to highlight handling?

Lydia's music is very nice. I checked out her site after watching your video. I'm gonna buy her album once it comes out!

Peter Szilveszter January 13th, 2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 994394)
Very nice... However, I do see strong black clipping in many shots. I assume you guys use the standard picture parameter?

This issue seems due to the codec that the 5D is using as a few other users have mentioned that it crushes the blacks too much so makes it hard to get the right exposure on the subject.

Ger Griffin January 13th, 2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 994075)
I still think that the impact of this technology on videography won't be as negative as many are thinking.


I agree Travis. I don't see this as negative at all. If anything its positive for me, as a single camera operator.
Im looking forward to the days when I can have a chat with the photographer on the morning of a wedding and agree with him that if he shoots some video freely for me with his camera that I'll take snaps freely for him with mine.
Swap media at the end of the day and its a win win :)

Because lets be realistic, nobody can be primarily both photog and videog, I dont care who you are.

Jeff Whitley January 13th, 2009 09:41 PM

It has both good and bad connotations for video.

The Good, I am hoping the chips in these cameras will propel the video industry forward to something comparable to 35mm.

The bad, the Photographic guys have a much better understanding of lightning which is so important and in many cases in composition as well.

Peter Szilveszter January 13th, 2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitley (Post 994604)
The bad, the Photographic guys have a much better understanding of lightning which is so important and in many cases in composition as well.

Why is that bad? lighting and composition is not the only factor for telling a story in a motion picture.

I am sure you have seen films that might technically be bad but captures the human spirit, the story and evokes emotion in the viewer, I would have that any day over a technically pretty video.

This is the difference with still and moving and good photographers know how to capture the exact right moment and the emotion in one frame so both require skill, talent and lots of practice but 2 different disciplines.

Jeff Whitley January 14th, 2009 06:52 AM

Bad in the respect that with the economic state that most of the country is in, competition is tough. Customers are not all ways the most informed, they basically go on their senses, I do believe that the ability to tell a story is crucial to a better than average video project. I believe the "bling" of beautiful images makes for a lasting impression and most video projects are just that average by many who would call themselves a pro. This would leave a few videographers doing excellent work, thus it doesn't appear the customer is really all that concerned about a story line. Again, economically a pro would have to work much harder to "sell" his services I believe.

I don't think it a big stretch in any sense of the word to say comparatively speaking the photo guy would have a much easier time transitioning to video than the reverse. Knowing much more about lightning and composition, these being very big clues on how to approach a cinemagraphic look, and honestly its not hard to tell a story. Spin a story, for which there are all ready road maps to guide you, connect the dots and you have a very workable plan of attack.

Cameras like the 5D are going to change things, not in any sense immediately but its in the pipe. Zacuto has all ready fabricated a rig for the 5D, so their thinking is down what lines, Exactly! So basically, my point is competition, if it has not been tough, it just might start showing signs of getting their, with competent shooters, ahead of the curve and or who will learn quickly. I would dare say, in the not too distant future, there may be no distinction. The camera guy will be doing both with the same piece of equipment, very likely indeed!! Example, many news papers are all ready making the "reporters" shoot, and edit their stories, its a one man show, the infrastructure is all ready being built.

Joel Peregrine January 14th, 2009 09:35 AM

Hi Jeff,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitley (Post 994753)
...the photo guy would have a much easier time transitioning to video than the reverse.

I completely disagree, having seen many videographers become working photographers and also having seen many photographers give video a try only to give up during the first project because of the complexities of the entire production process.

Jeff Whitley January 14th, 2009 10:03 AM

Please keep in mind, I at least, am referring to the seasoned pro or a very serious hobbiest, one who has been around the block a time or two, and use to stress. And again, I say "Easier Time" making the transition, this would hold true for any, who for the sake of argument, say works in either direction (video to photo /vice versa), those who actually do cross over and make the transition!! What experience level would you say those were who quit?

I believe the news guys are the perfect example! I don't say they are doing a steller job at editing but if a news Journalist can learn it ALL and do it decently, how much easier for a photo guy who is used to setting shots (composition) and lightning which is essential for both photo and video and then Fstops/Aperture, these guys work with this on an almost daily basis.


The BEST example is Vincent Laforet, a photo guy, granted a very talented (pro) photo guy but none the less his videos are very good.

But then again just my opinion ;-)

Joel Peregrine January 14th, 2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitley (Post 994836)
What experience level would you say those were who quit?

Full time experienced fashion/portrait/wedding photographers running successful studios...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:00 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2018 The Digital Video Information Network