On Camera lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

On Camera lights

So I'm wondering which lights you guys are using and how you like them. I just switched to HD for this upcoming wedding season and am going to purchase an on camera light just in case. I have never really researched them before now, so I'm wondering what works and what doesn't. I'm looking for something with a dimmer I think, that feature sounds really good.

thanks for the advice.
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm in the process of looking at getting an LED light..
Seems like the Swit S-2010 is the answer for me..It's powered by a regular camcorder battery..

There's a clamping mechanism that holds the battery. They in turn, are mounted on the top handle of the camera..A proprietery cord hooks to the light..
Dimmer and diffuser are part of the light construction.

Not cheap, but will be great for run and gun...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah I did see those last night on a review. They are a bit pricey for me though. After upgrading to HD, Merlin, and new lav system I'm on a tighter budget for the lights.
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Major Player

VIDLED On Camera LED Video Lights

Absolutely fantastic. Get the one with the built in battery. Really great and one charge lasts hours. $435. Has a built in metre and is dimable. I have used it on the dancefloor and it gives more than enough light. No worrying about leads from external batteries or heat.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Trustee

There's more on this at Photon Management

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photon-ma...ill-lites.html

The only cheap (relatively) solution seems to be the Sima

Sima | SL-20LX Universal LED On Camera Light | SL-20LX | B&H

Or for 250.00 more - the litepanel 25w micro (dimmable) though it seems nobody dims it as it tends to be not bright enough more most taste.

Litepanels | LPMICRO Micro LED on Camera Light | LP-MICRO | B&H
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Considering the Sima can be had for under $50, it's a good bargain. Plan on getting several, they can be stacked together, two seems to be about optimal, and they run for around 45-55 minutes on a charge. I like the fact that they are very light and easy to toss in the kit...

The old standby is the Sony HVL-20Dxx (20DM, 20DMA, and 20DX2) with a Sto-fen diffuser - and it's still a pretty decent fill rig, with a warmer color than the LEDs. If you use a Sony camera, the battery compatibility with the NP-F or NP-FM series can be an advantage. Can't complain about the Sonys, always worked well for me.

No dimmers on either light, although the Sony has 10 and 20 watt options. I've got to put a template together for the Sima to mount a diffuser, but it's pretty simple with the auxilliary cold shoes molded into the shell (that's how you can stack them together).
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques