Wedding style terminology at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wedding style terminology

I have seen a lot of great footage here by some awesome wedding videographers.
I have noticed that much of the footage requires some sort of cooperation from the bride and groom, such as them standing still while the videographer circles around them with a glidecam.
I am truly respect the talent necessary to pull stuff like this off, however I prefer to shoot the "fly on the wall" type video where they don'y really know I am there.
I think there is room for both styles of video, but is there terminology to clearly define the different ways of shooting.
I try to steer clear of the term "Documentary" because it sounds so boring and non-artisitic (no offense to the docu-shooters out there).
Anyone have creative ways to describe this to brides?
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I know photographers often describe themselves as "photojournalists" for the style you describe. So maybe something similar to that?
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ganglfinger View Post
...I prefer to shoot the "fly on the wall" type video where they don'y really know I am there.
Not sure you're going to get a more accurate and descriptive phrase or term than that. Describe your style that way and 98% of your clients will get it. The other 2%... well you might want to check and see if they're still breathing.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Major Player

"I have seen a lot of great footage here "

Dont think you've seen the footage here at all.
FOotage means, pure shot material, with no processing at all..
most of what is seen here posted edited, corrected, graded, speed altered finished product..

can it be called a documentary? Good question.
That's another subject for another lengthy discussion..
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Trustee

Could you call the style you're referring to as "unobtrusive candid shots?"
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
"I have seen a lot of great footage here "

Dont think you've seen the footage here at all.
FOotage means, pure shot material, with no processing at all..

Fair enough, I think I meant samples for critique.
I also was curious if there was terminology for the (seemingly) newer style of video were the bride and groom are actually posing for the video.
I tend to see very few highlight clips where the shots from the actual ceremony and reception are used.
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ganglfinger View Post
Fair enough, I think I meant samples for critique.
I also was curious if there was terminology for the (seemingly) newer style of video were the bride and groom are actually posing for the video.
I tend to see very few highlight clips where the shots from the actual ceremony and reception are used.
Here is one of my highlights where I staged very few shots. Mostly the photographer set up some shots and I asked to jump in where she was done to do a video version of that pose.

2/3 of the shots I used were from actual wedding & reception. That way the couple gets a feel for the whole day, and not just the staged parts before the ceremony.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Mark, the terms I am familiar with are "Cinematic" and "Photojournalistic" (documentary style which has already been mentioned).

The cinematic style is extremely popular and will often incorporate the posed shots you mentioned, dramatic music, and any variety of effects, specific shooting styles (moving shots) use of fish-eye lenses, steadicam, etc.

There are also the short-form edits which are just catching on here in Cincinnati. For a 30 minute finished video a friend of mine charges around $2500 and the prices go up from there.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques