Facebook Advertsing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Facebook Advertsing

Hi there,

Is there anyone in this forum that advertises on Facebook? I am planning to advertise, it seems you can target engaged couples directly. It's a pay for click advertisement with an initial investment of $ 25. Any success? Thoughts?
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Major Player

it does sound like a good idea. I would be interested as well to hear from others who do the same.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Major Player

I use Facebook to advertise and I LOVE it!!

You can choose to target only people who have "Engaged" on thier profile. You can choose what locations, age demographics etc.

I would say at LEAST a third of my business comes from Facebook. I set my limit at $5.00/day and when I hit $5.00 they just turn off my ad.

Currently with my chosen demographics, there are about 50,000 people who get targeted by my ad. I watch the statistics and when my ad has been shown about 200,000 times (which means all 50,000 people have seen it about 4 times) I turn it off for a few days.

That's all I can think of. If you have anymore questions let me know!

ETA: Noel, now that I see that you are my "competition" I should tell you that I actually HATE it and highly recommend you advertise in the back of the Pennysaver! You get all sorts of work from there! lol! ;-) kidding!

Last edited by Kelsey Emuss; January 19th, 2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added a joke
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Kelsey. Don't worry when I clicked on people engaged the target is @ 120,000 in Toronto alone. We can split the market ( we'll take 60,000 weddings each)/ j/k.lol

Okay Facebook it is.
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Thanks Kelsey. Don't worry when I clicked on people engaged the target is @ 120,000 in Toronto alone. We can split the market ( we'll take 60,000 weddings each)/ j/k.lol

Okay Facebook it is.
Wow! That's impressive! I may have to move!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #6
New Boot

How (on Facebook) do you get a listing of how many people are "engaged" in a particular area?
Scott Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Major Player

When you post an AD at Facebook, you are given choices of target market (i.e. single. married or engaged), you can also choose location, age, etc.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #8
New Boot

Thank you so much for the information.
Scott Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Trustee

How many hits do you get for $5? I don't quite understand the whole set your own per click price, someone care to explain that to me?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Ethan,

The pay for click cost determines your heirarchy in the ADs, a wedding videographer with a .50 per click will be listed first, .45 second, and so on. You can set it at .25 per click & set your daily spending at $ 5.00, once you have 20 hits you are done for the day.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #11
Trustee

Is it Facebook wide advertising or limited to your region? I kinda like the idea of both... 20 hits a day is a lot, that's tempting.

-Ethan Cooper
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #12
Major Player

You can set it to any location you like, province wide, countrywide, city wide. It is tempting I'll start advertising tonight and concentrate in the Toronto area.
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Trustee

I feel a spike in Facebook Wedding Videographer Ad's coming in the next few days. It's things like this that I never knew existed that make these forums great.

Hey Chris, thanks for making this place, it's been a godsend.

-Ethan Cooper
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #14
Major Player

i tried it the very same week that advertising became available to facebook members.

i only stayed with it for 2 or 3 weeks, with no real success.

and i'll tell you what, back then, selecting 'engaged' people wasn't an option, which i remember thinking was quite annoying! i may look into it again someday now i know it is an option :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Facebook Advertising

I probably get about half my business from Facebook, the other half coming from referrals. Ditto to the other comments: you can really drill down to your target market, and you can also explore other markets that might be a little farther than you'd like to travel, but you can feel around and see if the rates are good enough to do a full-on marketing campaign there.

Of course I target the engaged couples in my area, but there are lots of other niche markets you can get into. For instance, I do a lot of sports stuff, so I can target people with activities like "football" or "baseball." Also, if there's an event coming up that might be a good opportunity, I'll plant little seeds months in advance about event videography and target the ad to specific keywords related to the event I'd like to cover.

The only downside about Facebook Ads... the site doesn't perform well in Firefox. I have to use an extension to switch my rendering engine over to IE for things to behave correctly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques