remote power switch? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Major Player

remote power switch?

Kind of like a Clap-on but with a remote control instead. I want to be able to control on/off to my continuous light remotely. So if needed, I can turn it on/off from the dance floor. Do such thing exist?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Major Player

I went to the Canadian Tire website and a quick search brought up a few solutions for under $50. I would visit your local hardware store and have a look. There are quite a few small remote controlled devices that you simply plug into the AC outlet on the wall, and then you plug the AC cable from the lights into the device. They're designed for Christmas lights and things of that nature.

I don't remember a specific brand, but when using other people's lights I have used them and it's a big help to be able to turn on two lights twenty feet apart with the click of a button. I'm sure the people at your local Rona/Lowe's/Home Hardware/whereever will be able to help you.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Yang... I've been thinking of doing the same thing for a while now. I've built a small light kit that work off of 12v and resembles the "wedding reception lighting kit" that someone posted a few months ago.
If you google RC7000D some stuff pops up... I'm looking for one that will work with 12v so it's hard to find one on the internet that I could easily adapt. The specs are not very helpful.
Ace hardware might also have a few options if there's one near you.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
Yang... I've been thinking of doing the same thing for a while now. I've built a small light kit that work off of 12v and resembles the "wedding reception lighting kit" that someone posted a few months ago.
The Wireless Wedding Reception Light - PRICING INFORMATION

These folks also sell a wireless remote you can use with your own light and battery. A bit pricey though I think.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Might also want to look at "X-10" gear. Not the most reliable but easily portable and can also dim.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Major Player

A friend of mine is using this setup: NRG | Lightmaster 2000 3-Light Wireless Light Control | 52003
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Lukas: Cool thanks! Looks like I can also use that to control my off-camera strobes for a photography gig..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I am using this wonderful $40 AC remote:
Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology RS-204U Remote Control Outlet System: Patio, Lawn & Garden ... but, unfortunately, looks like it is discontinued...

Good Luck!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Here's the ticket on Ebay. Do a google search on the web for this unit and you may find it cheaper.

Logisys RM02 REMOTE CONTROL SWITCH 12V DC Connector Kit Item number: 280302359232
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:55 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
Here's the ticket on Ebay. Do a google search on the web for this unit and you may find it cheaper.

Logisys RM02 REMOTE CONTROL SWITCH 12V DC Connector Kit Item number: 280302359232
That was exactly what i was looking for.. thank you.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Lukas: Cool thanks! Looks like I can also use that to control my off-camera strobes for a photography gig..
You can do everything with it - it controls anything as long as it's using 120v :-) As far as I remember you can control each light separately or turn on/off all at once. It's nice to be in the middle of the dancefloor and if you need more light, you reach to your pocket and flip the switch :-)
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques