DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   quickbase for fig rig.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/142364-quickbase-fig-rig.html)

Stephen J. Williams January 25th, 2009 03:48 PM

quickbase for fig rig....

I know that there are a few people out there using this for weddings/projects.. I'm interested in buying a fig rig but I dont think it would be practical for me unless I had a quickbase to go with it. I'm hoping to be able to leave the quickbase attached to my tripod and when needed to go handheld, I can just go....
I cant find the quickbase for sell anywhere anymore. It's a discontinued product by B&H... any ideas???

Hubert Duijzer January 26th, 2009 05:09 AM

Do a search on Manfrotto/Bogen 577. It's using the same plates as a 501/503 head.

Stephen J. Williams January 26th, 2009 12:07 PM

I think your talking about the quick release plate... I need the wire frame that attaches to the tripod and the fig rig slides into... The company that used to make it only has one more left. Just curious if any of the fig rig users on this board happened to have one that they dont use often.

Hubert Duijzer January 26th, 2009 01:40 PM

You're right. Sorry. I've never heard of a quickbase before.
After re-reading i now understand what you meant.

Philip Gioja January 26th, 2009 02:22 PM

I don't like mounting the figrig to my tripod - way too jumpy. I use a bogen head on my tripod, so I take the camera off and put it on the tripod. It's a trick and I'm always leaving my figrig everywhere, but I feel like it's worth it for the extra stability.

Stephen J. Williams January 26th, 2009 02:32 PM

I also use a bogen tripod and head. But the plate that fits in the fig rig wont fit in my head... I rather not have to buy a new head just for connivence. I though the quickbase would be a good solution since I could leave everything mounted. Then grab and go for those mobile shots. I waste so much time now just rushing to set up between handheld shots and steady shots with the tripod. I figured this would be a good way to get around it.

are you saying it's way to jumpy while using the quickbase?? If you dont like using maybe I can take it of your hands for you.......

Steve

Perrone Ford January 26th, 2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 1001503)
I also use a bogen tripod and head. But the plate that fits in the fig rig wont fit in my head... I rather not have to buy a new head just for connivence. I though the quickbase would be a good solution since I could leave everything mounted. Then grab and go for those mobile shots. I waste so much time now just rushing to set up between handheld shots and steady shots with the tripod. I figured this would be a good way to get around it.

are you saying it's way to jumpy while using the quickbase?? If you dont like using maybe I can take it of your hands for you.......

Steve

I hang my figrig on a c-stand when I'm not using it. Works great. and dead simple. Cheap too.

Jon Kon January 16th, 2010 07:27 PM

Seems like a common problem with the Fig Rig setup... cant put it down and hard to mount it on anything. There are alternatives.

Philip Howells January 16th, 2010 10:47 PM

Stephen, I wouldn't worry about being unable to find the quick stand for two reasons.

Firstly is aesthetic - it's a big lump to have, especially at a wedding where most of us try to fit in discreetly.

Secondly, and more important, assuming you'll be using a demand arm on your tripod, and assuming you'll have one of Manfrotto's cut-down versions on your Fig Rig, you're going to have to unplug the camera as you set it on the tripod anyway.

Our solution is to have the same 501 quick release plate on the Fig Rig and the tripod. As I'm walking from the end of recording the bride arriving at the church, I detach the Lanc control and the camera from the Fig Rig. By the time I reach the tripod position, just upstage from where the couple will stand, all I have to do is to slip the camera on to the tripod and bang in the Lanc lead from the demand arm.

Incidentally since all the cameras will be running in sync for multi-camming in post, we don't stop the camera during the detachment/re-attachment process.

Richard Gooderick January 17th, 2010 04:38 AM

I use the 502 quick release plate with my Fig Rig too. Works fine.