I know I shouldn't be disturbed, but I am at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 30th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #1
Inner Circle

I know I shouldn't be disturbed, but I am

I just turned away a bride who tried to strong arm me. I really wanted the job, because it is on a Friday in May, and their expectations were low, at least thats what I guessed.

I had offered her two cams for ceremony only for an embarrasing price, shot with HD.

Now mind you she was sent to me by a very enthusiastic customer who talks us up every chance she gets so we came highly recommended.

I sent the last quote to them, and they said they were about to go on a cruise and would decide when they return.

Just received their decision. If we couldn't come up with a better deal, they would have a friend do it.

I replied " I understand, if you need anything else please let me know".

This is the first time I have had a bride come out and say that. I must say it was disturbing.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #2
Major Player

You don't need client's like that. Move on to the next one...
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Jeff,
when I have a potenial client say that (or similar) to me I basically tell them "great, good luck to you" and move on all the while thanking my lucky stars I did NOT book the job. While we all want the job to make the money sometimes NOT booking it is really the best thing to do. Ever have a B&G you live with forever? Or at least it seems like it.
If you already gave them a deal but reducing you normal price and they came back and demanded more, of course I would want to know what it is they wanted, but it is generally something unreasonable, so cut them loose and if you can't book someone else to fill the date then so be it.
I just really don't let it bother me. After all, you aren't going to book all of them all the time.
Some will, some won't, so what. Who's NEXT!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Don't worry Jeff. I was feeling similar when I dropped customers referred by a friend. Just their expectations were much bigger for less money then I could agree for.

It'll pass as soon as you get another customer for the same weekend at your terms.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I sent the last quote to them, and they said they were about to go on a cruise and would decide when they return.

Just received their decision. If we couldn't come up with a better deal, they would have a friend do it.
Oh, they couldn't book with you unless you make no money, and yet they have the gall to tell you they're about to go on a cruise four months before their wedding. They're obviously poor.

Move on, and thank the stars you didn't pick up this grinder client.

Last edited by Vito DeFilippo; January 30th, 2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: can't count
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks guys.
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Jeff,

You made the right decision. People think Wedding Videography is easy and Uncle Bob can do it, then by all means let them.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Jeff, I'm by all means not an expert on wedding videography, but sometimes we have the same problem with other clients.
Don't worry, you made the right decision.

If you would have lowered your price you would:
- earned basically nothing, or not enough.
- you would agree that every price you make is open for negotiation. With other words, if you would do it, that bride will tell her friends how cheap you are, and those friends will come to you with the same low price / high quality expectations.

You made the right choice, and in this business, people always think we can work for nothing. And our productions company has noticed that the more 'presents' you give a client (little extras you do free of charge that they didn't ask for to surprise them, etc. ...), the greedier they become, because they expect more and more for free, and if you at one moment say: "Sorry, but this will cost you extra.", suddenly they are with their arms up in the air. We've been through it too.
We made extra trailers for a company which they hadn't paid extra for. Instead of being happy, they said they liked it, but kept asking changes and changes to these trailers, and expecting to pay nothing for it. We made the changes they wanted, and then they would come back with other changes again, and there we said: "Sorry, but if you want that, I will have to charge, because I can't keep working at these - free - trailers for nothing." They suddenly thought it was expensive that we asked money to make some alterations to a trailer we had already changed a couple of times at their request.

Now, we learned not to give away 'presents' anymore for nothing, because we only get a wrong reaction.

On the short term, you maybe lost a client. But it was an unresonable client, and believe me, you are better of without those. The comment about the cruise just makes it harder to swallow.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
J
On the short term, you maybe lost a client. But it was an unresonable client, and believe me, you are better of without those. The comment about the cruise just makes it harder to swallow.
I second that. Which reminded me of a Craig Ad, wanting a Videographer to shoot their wedding/edit for $ 300. Their selling point is you get to meet the photographer they hired possibly get business from him & what breaks me is they have their own wedding website to boost.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #10
Regular Crew

You're a smart man

Hi Jeff,

I was just in the same situation not even a week ago. I had a client that was low balling me and they wanted everything and the moon for next to nothing. They told me that they would let me know of their decision by the end of the week. After losing a few hours of sleep for giving in so much i decided to send them an email to let them know that another couple was interested for the same date and they had picked a bigger package but i was allowing them to either match their price or i was forced to pass it along.

I haven't heard from them since.

I know at first you think you lost money by turing the client down but as others have mentioned if you start cutting deals with couples you'll become your own competitor which isn't a good idea at all.

See the positive side to this story is now i will have more time to work on the good paying customers who value the work i do.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I don't do weddings, but there is ONE TRUTH in video: No news spreads faster than the lowest price you've EVER charged, regardless of how early in your career it was, how much "in kind" you also received or how close the recipient of your good will was to you.

PS. That's not a "client"; you build a relationship with a client. That's a customer, at best...
PPS. That's not even a customer, that's a tire kicker.
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #12
Major Player

i just got the same thing, except for photography. they were going to have a friend shoot everything else except for group shots, told them sorry, my half day package is the lowest I offer. see ya!
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #13
Inner Circle

All in all, especially after your feedback, I do feel better. A few weeks ago I raised my rates a couple of hundred dollars, and my conversion rate is same as before I did.

I've been complaining all year about my backlog of edits, and part of the reason I raised my prices was to slow things down a bit.

It is so true that that kind of client is usually the most difficult also. More and more I'm glad she's moved on.

I tend to offer discounts for Fridays, but that is only contributing to the problem of the backlog. It sure did last year.
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #14
New Boot

Ok... maybe I should make a separate thread for this... but does anyone have something like a top 10 list of reasons a B&G shouldn't let Uncle Bob do their wedding videography? Educating the B&G's before the DEAL OR NO DEAL PHASE can't hurt.
Scott Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Maybe my story doesn't fit in this category as B&G's never really threatened me to say "lower your rate or we won't book you", but I still feel like sharing. I had two potential clients that were interested in booking me, one of whom actually confirmed (and was going to have their wedding on a small cruise too), but I didn't meet them to sign a contract or take a deposit.

Both said they were on a budget, both later said they were going to have family members do it and not hire me because of their low budget.

Months later, I stumble upon other wedding videographer websites and what do I see? They're wedding video highlights with those same potential clients. They were with different videographers with rates much higher than mine. I'll admit, they probably produce higher quality videos than I can, but that didn't seem to be a concern to them.

How's THAT for disturbing?
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques