Collections or Small Claims Court - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 9th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #16
Major Player

I have been burnt too many times... That is why we take final payment two weeks before the wedding. It hasn't been a problem... our clients are totally cool with it, the last thing I want to do is be asking a bride for money on her wedding day.. awkward!
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Requiring payoff 2- 4 weeks before the wedding date is pretty much industry standard for the wedding business. Honestly, I don't think having brides pay after their wedding is going to net you any more business. Sure they will take it if offered. But if that's the only way a bride will take the deal, then it's probably not a safe bet that they will have the money to pay you off 2 months after the big day.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #18
Major Player

I'm just getting burnt as we speak.

I had old contracts where most of the payment was required after the wedding. This couple (last contract like this) decided to tell me that they waited too long (6 mos) for their dvd and they won't pay full price. After long battle over emails I convinced them that the solution can be always solved in court, and the money they pay for the whole deal is a bargain already. They agreed with me, but it doesn't make me happy at all.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Harjo View Post
Requiring payoff 2- 4 weeks before the wedding date is pretty much industry standard for the wedding business. Honestly, I don't think having brides pay after their wedding is going to net you any more business. Sure they will take it if offered. But if that's the only way a bride will take the deal, then it's probably not a safe bet that they will have the money to pay you off 2 months after the big day.
Absolutely 100% agree. AAMOF, IMO if you wait until after in todays economy, you stand a real good chance of being burned bad. I know a couple of guys it's already happened too.
While there are some here who business model is based on finalpayment after the wedding most wedding professionals (read any vendor IE, video, photo, DJ/band, caterer) require payment up front at least 7 to 10 days before the wedding and I agree, delaying payment is not going to garner any business worth having.
But what do I know. I'm just a video-O-grapher
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques