On-Camera Wireless Mic Suggestions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Haven't seen the MKE1. I'm looking for a good hardwired lav myself. I'll have to check it out. Yeah the price difference on the SR is attractive. Sure wish we knew what was going to happen to the broadcast spectrum. Lectros would be a major investment for me. To have them be rendered useless in a year would be devastating.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
Haven't seen the MKE1. I'm looking for a good hardwired lav myself. I'll have to check it out. Yeah the price difference on the SR is attractive. Sure wish we knew what was going to happen to the broadcast spectrum. Lectros would be a major investment for me. To have them be rendered useless in a year would be devastating.
Amen to that! That (as well as general availability of funds) is one reason I've been holding off. However I'm also looking at the fact that I think I should offer a minimum of 2 channels of wireless in my personal kit before I can realisitically start actively soliciting freelance work so that means I shouldn't wait longer than necessary and I believe buying second tier such as G2's and upgrading later would be more expensive in the long run. Going to go with lavs hardwired to phantom/XLR for the moment, Trew just charges a few bucks to insert the appropriate breakaway into the cable a little ways up from the XLR adapter when I decide on the specifc wireless transmitters and know what connector is needed.
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #18
Inner Circle

post deleted
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #19
New Boot

Hi Phillip,

I have and still use the Azden 200ult. It is a dual channel receiver however it needs both xlrs on your camera to record 2 channels simultaneously.

I like to mic up the groom and the lecturn for the readings, but I still want my on-cam shotgun for the ambience.

So the only way I can get around this is....

shotgun to xlr 1
Azden receiver to xlr 2 (groom mic ch1, lecturn mic ch2 on receiver).

I need to switch the receiver's channels on/off, from groom mic to lecturn mic as required. Both signals cant be sent out of the receiver at the same time it doesn't mix going through 1 xlr output. (which can be a bummer). On the odd occasion I've forgotten to switch back in time to the grooms mic.

The problem when you're switching over is that you get a loud crackling noise, (which can be removed in post), providing you switch back on time. (too late during the vows)!

Its the only workaround I know. If anyone has a better solution....I'm all ears!

I'm not sure if the Azden 325ult has the same issues though.

Yes the AT1800 can mix the signal and is a better system. I'd love to upgrade...but can't justify the price yet. Maybe in 2010...if we have any uhf frequencies left. :)

Manny.
Manny Caras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Caras View Post
Hi Phillip,

I have and still use the Azden 200ult. It is a dual channel receiver however it needs both xlrs on your camera to record 2 channels simultaneously.

I like to mic up the groom and the lecturn for the readings, but I still want my on-cam shotgun for the ambience.

So the only way I can get around this is....

shotgun to xlr 1
Azden receiver to xlr 2 (groom mic ch1, lecturn mic ch2 on receiver).

I need to switch the receiver's channels on/off, from groom mic to lecturn mic as required. Both signals cant be sent out of the receiver at the same time it doesn't mix going through 1 xlr output. (which can be a bummer). On the odd occasion I've forgotten to switch back in time to the grooms mic.

The problem when you're switching over is that you get a loud crackling noise, (which can be removed in post), providing you switch back on time. (too late during the vows)!

Its the only workaround I know. If anyone has a better solution....I'm all ears!

I'm not sure if the Azden 325ult has the same issues though.

Yes the AT1800 can mix the signal and is a better system. I'd love to upgrade...but can't justify the price yet. Maybe in 2010...if we have any uhf frequencies left. :)

Manny.
How about using Beachtek (or other brand) mixer and use both wireless signals as inputs and output onto one channel in camera, and plug shotgun directly to 2nd xlr channel? I'm sure you would need a little more thinking about how to solve the wires connections, but I think its doable with just $200-300 of budget.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #21
Inner Circle

one reason I love the AT1800 dual. I mic the groom and lectern run the lectern to ch1 and the groom to ch2. I kill off my hypercaroid on the camera as it picks up everything I don't want. My AT897 on my 2nd camera gets the music as it is usually pretty loud so I use those tracks for that and teh Countryman EMWs are sensitive enough to get everything else even the music although it's kind of low level. Post workflow is pretty easy.
When I first got the unit I mixed the 2 channels from the AT unit and used the hypercaroid but didn't like what I was getting. You couldn't seperate the 2 mics cleanly IMO. then I tried using a "Y" cable to connect the lectern mic and the hyper to ch1 and the groom mic to ch2 but still got too much slammin and bangin from the guests, so now i just kill off the hyper and use the system I described above and for me it works.
Of course what do I know. I'm just a video-O-grapher ;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #22
New Boot

Thanks Don and Lukas for the replies.

Yeah i guess a mixer would do the trick, but I'm trying to save my money for a Z5u...so I might take Don's advice and kill my shotgun for now.

Manny.

Last edited by Manny Caras; February 11th, 2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: lukas..not luke
Manny Caras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Caras View Post
Thanks Don and Lukas for the replies.

Yeah i guess a mixer would do the trick, but I'm trying to save my money for a Z5u...so I might take Don's advice and kill my shotgun for now.

Manny.
other solution - cheaper. Buy used Zoom H2 and plug your shotgun to it. Those used Zoom's go for $150.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques