Audio Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 10th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio Advice

I have £300 pound to spend and would love some advice on some decent audio for my wedding business. I use an audio Technica Shotgun which is amazing but not totally sutable for the main Vows, its worked fine for previous weddings and no one has complained but i want to up my production

would my investment be more wisely spent ont he G 2 wireless system

or one of these Olympus voice recorders, How do they work, do they record on tape?? is it simply a case of leaving it near the birde and goom and syncing the audio in post??? im not to sure

would love some suggestions this guys

actually make the budget £350

cheers

luke
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #2
Major Player

re

i have 2 xlr inputs on my sony V1 and would like to keep my shotgun in one
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #3
Trustee

I was in virtually the same spot as you this summer. I did two outdoor weddings that solidified in my mind that I absolutely HAD to get some good lav mics.

I sprung for the AudioTechnica 1821 dual channel receiver and two body packs & lavs. I bought the kit used from a DVInfo member and also got two Countryman EMW mics. I got a super good deal at around $1100. That kit new might go for $1800 or so.

I cannot recommend this enough. I also have an AT897 on cam, and an AT drop mic (only used for legal deposition work, but might not make a bad on cam omni mic).

Before I got the AT1821 system I had a POS Azden VHF system. That worked for a bit (then my only lav mic & transmitter got stolen at a graduation ceremony) but was horrible for anything but line of sight with nothing (and I mean nothing... not even a person's body) in the way.

Now.... I'm pretty sure that even in the US economy, 300 Euro isn't $1100USD, so why did I bring this piece up? It really is a great system. If you really do only have 300Euro, then consider a flash recorder. I know Travis C. has a few and loves his. Search for his posts to read more. I think it is within your budget. THe only issue I have with unattended non-monitored audio solutions is you have no idea what you will get till you record it after the fact. I really like heaving the audio live and knowing if I'm SOL or not.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #4
Trustee

Get the Sennheiser G2 kit.

Paul.
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Major Player

If you dont have a Lav mic then you really must get one, the audio quality is superb. We have the G2 which goes on the groom and gets all the best bits.

We also use 2x Olympus DS-30's for the ceremony, one on the lecturn for the readings and one elsewhere for the singinng, choir etc.

Shotgun up front for eveything else.
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Major Player

There's an almost identical thread on the other forum.

Get the best you can afford. Ebay is your best bet. If your budget only allows to stretch to a G2 setup, its better than a lot of stuff out there. It is essential to lav the groom. The mic will then pick up the bride and vicar as well. Get decent lavs. Countryman B6 lavs are great, as are Trams. The lav that comes with the G2 isn't great.

I purchased a Edirol r-09 of Ebay. There are always second hand ones up for grabs. Brilliant little sound recorder and I stick it on the lectern for the readings. Also use it durng hymms. Remember that you doon't want the grooms voice over the lav mic to drown out everyone else. I use the second cam and Edirol when the hymms take place.

Audio is vitally important and plays a massive part of the wedding film. Whenever you can aford it, upgrade your audio gear. Unlike cameras, once you have decent audio gear, it never needs to be replaced and will last for years if it is looked after.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Steve Shovlar;1009648]There's an almost identical thread on the other forum.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the other forum?
Mike Petrucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Major Player

divxuser.com

I hope I am not breaking any rules by mentioning it. If I am I apologise.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques