Meeting with clients... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #16
Inner Circle

There are so many different answers to this question.

First, if you don't have an office/studio/home that is presentable to meet with couples at, then don't do. Either meet halfway or meet at their house. I would recommend meeting halfway. If you meet with people in their homes you're more likely to have them distracted by other things (kids, pets, phone calls, etc.). Neither is ideal, but I would go for coffee shop or a nice cafe.

The other thing to consider is how you are selling yourself. If you're selling yourself based on price, then giving all of your information over the phone or via email is probably just fine, because the couple that books on price is less concerned with quality and personality.

However, if you're trying to book based on the quality of your work and your own personality and what you have to offer, then a good meeting is essential.

We have a home studio with offices, and we've done a lot of work to our home to make it feel less like a home and more like a studio. It makes our personal lives much more difficult, but it's the sacrifice we have to make at this point in time.
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
There are so many different answers to this question.

First, if you don't have an office/studio/home that is presentable to meet with couples at, then don't do. Either meet halfway or meet at their house. I would recommend meeting halfway. If you meet with people in their homes you're more likely to have them distracted by other things (kids, pets, phone calls, etc.). Neither is ideal, but I would go for coffee shop or a nice cafe.

The other thing to consider is how you are selling yourself. If you're selling yourself based on price, then giving all of your information over the phone or via email is probably just fine, because the couple that books on price is less concerned with quality and personality.

However, if you're trying to book based on the quality of your work and your own personality and what you have to offer, then a good meeting is essential.

We have a home studio with offices, and we've done a lot of work to our home to make it feel less like a home and more like a studio. It makes our personal lives much more difficult, but it's the sacrifice we have to make at this point in time.

I do have a presentable space that showcases my work nicely. And as a rule I would NEVER go to someone's home to a meeting. As a woman that isn't a smart decision. As it is I schedule meeting with clients in my home when my husband is here.

I think because I'm just starting out I'm selling my work based on both price and quality of work.

Honestly I'm just being a baby!! I hate going out for the "coffee-shop" meeting. Oh well, I guess I need to suck it up. lol!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Well, if you have your own space and you feel it's presentable, I say have them come meet with you. If anything, I think people see you as being more 'professional' if you aren't asking them to meet you at a coffee house or at their house. So I would just have them come to you.

The downside is how often people will forget their appointment and leave you waiting, but it's better than waiting for them at a coffee shop that you had to drive to.
Old February 13th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I've had my fair share of no shows......eeeeerg.But it comes with the territory right? The only time I ever meet people out at a coffee shop or cafe is when it winds up being very difficult to make an appointment that works for both me and the client.It does make a huge difference when you have a place to meet though (studio/home studio).It really makes the client or potential client feel that you are an established business.I'll have some people come into my studio and talk down about someone they had to meet in a starbucks or barnes and noble.I always tell them that I sometimes do the same to make things more convenient for customers.Either way I think it boils down to your work and the big thing....your personality.So far so good:)

Ryan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques